The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had taken my 10 year old daughter out for the mentored youth hunt on the first day of rifle season. We had seen a few buck, and she even missed one. At 4:30 she was lucky enough to get another chance at a buck, and she made it count, connecting on her first deer. A 5 point! The first Saturday my 7 year old son went with me for his first day of buck season under the mentored program. It was quite cold for him, for he is just a little guy. He only made it until noon. On the last Saturday he decided to give it another shot. He once again got very cold and wanted to go home. So i called my sister in law on the radio to walk out and get him. (she lives next to our property and had already harvested a fine 7 point) So, around noon, my son left with her for home. Being as how you can only carry 1 gun for the mentored youth hunt, i was left with a youth model 7mm-08 with managed recoil shells. I had several doe come by me that afternoon. At 3:00 p.m. i heard deer running towards me on the other side of a few hemlocks that are out in front of me. After quite some time 2 doe walked out into the open woods. While watching them I caught more movement from where they had come from. I glanced over and all i could see was horns. The buck moved a few steps from my left to right about 75 yards out. After just the few steps the buck stopped, turned around and starred for a couple minutes back in the hemlocks where it had came from. All i could see at that time was the horns and the rear end of the buck sticking out from behind the tree. I kept telling myself to be patient, and be ready if it was to bolt out of there. After that couple minutes the buck turned and started walking directly at me. I put the cross arrows on the base of the neck and let the youth model rifle with a managed recoil shell do its thing. To my surprise, the buck fell straight down and was expired within seconds. Definately the buck of a Lifetime!! Atleast for me!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts