The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out about 11:30 this morning due some erands I had to run prior. Went out to SGL 43. Stayed until about 4:45 this evening. All I saw was a rabbit, a woodpecker, a bluejay, a turkey ( hen) about 30 yds away. Heard a couple turkeys "talking to each other", and a few distant muzzleloader shots.

But NEVER saw a single deer. May have to find a new location for rifle season.

·
Banned
11,931 Posts
Hunted last 3 days in Sullivan County. Saw 2 bb's within range & passed plus several decent rack bucks while carrying my smokepole.
Today ...heavy rains so headed home. Loos promising for turkey opening next weekend!!

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I went out all day yesturday in 1A and about 5 pm out walks a huge doe, wait until she turns sideways-boom!! Anybody have a recipe for young tree
I bagged me a nice tree
That`s why they call in hunting
Oh well, maybe next year!! I love open sights, but I just did not see that darned tree!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hunted Thursday and Friday in Wayne County with my buddy and a friend from Boston who carried a CF rifle as a senior hunter. We carried flintlocks and tried to move deer for the senior hunter. Tough hunting, noisy leaves and poor visibility due to all the beech brush leaves. We saw a total of four deer of which only one would have offered a shot, a small buck that passed about 40 yards in front of me. Could not get our friend from Boston a shot no how but that's the way it often works and is a part of hunting. Lots of turkeys in Wayne also.

I did shoot a nice doe here in Union County last week with my 54 cal Southern Mtn. rifle.

·
Administrator
18,940 Posts
octagon said:
I went out all day yesturday in 1A and about 5 pm out walks a huge doe, wait until she turns sideways-boom!! Anybody have a recipe for young tree
I bagged me a nice tree
That`s why they call in hunting
Oh well, maybe next year!! I love open sights, but I just did not see that darned tree!!
Jack,maybe that dang tree jumped out in front of you!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Jack, it is a great deal more difficult to hit a little bitty tree than a big, ole fat doe! You are to be commended. It's resource first anyway, you'll remember!

Our group; grandson, son, and self, hunted Monday and Tuesday in 2G around and among the snow damaged and downed trees and limbs of Tioga State Forest. My grandson had his first shot with a flintlock, but missed. It didn't affect his enthusiasm one bit, and a little lesson from grandpa on limiting the quantity of priming powder should help after Christmas. My son passed on a shot at a yearling, and I took my smokepole for pleasant, leisurely walks in the woods. I saw more bears than deer.
But, I would't have missed a moment of the whole experience!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.