The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a scoped 10/22 that I can not get any better than a 5" group @ 50 yds. Checked all the usual things. Am I expecting too much from the 10/22? Is any brand ammo better than others?

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I can't comment on what brand of ammo works best for these guns in general terms. However, tryig different brands for your particular rifle is well worth the time, not to mention the fun factor that goes with any science experiment.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have 2 and you just have to keep trying different brands of ammo. Mine will both shoot under 1 inch at 100 yds with multiple brands.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Start with a good cleaning and then a good scope. A red dot scope on large dot will not produce quality groups. 10/22's are traditionally very good shooters. Cheap ammo is the next problem area. Over the years I found that customers main problem with 10/22's is the scope. You can't hit what you can't see.

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
What most of the others have noted about mounts/scope issues and cleaning, although I seldom get carried away with cleaning the bores in my 1022s. Unless I've been shooting lots of unplated lead bullet ammo in them?

Once ran my late 1960s vintage 1022 for about three years, with nothing other than the occasional patch down the bore. It was still shooting pretty well when I finally ended the torure test.

My newest one is about three or four years old. Plain Jane version ($179), no mods other than the synthetic stock it's now in. Scoped, it'll do well less than an inch at 50 yards with ammo it likes.

I've already fired ten shot "one ragged hole" groups with it during indoor winter league shoots, at 50 feet. Mine is partial to Win. Dynapoints, yours may like something else?

It absolutely hates most pricier brands of ammo, including Wolf MT, Eley and RWS. It shoots Win. Wildcat ammo better than the target stuff.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
cmc5028 said:
sounds you like you cant shoot
Sounds you like you need to go back to grammar school.

Most .22's can be finicky with ammo, it is just trial and error. Alot of good advice above(except one) with checking scope mounts, ect.

My 10/22 will shoot most brands well, but it will not cycle Winchester ammo.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses except the one questioning my shooting ability.
I should have been more informative with my 1st post,I had already checked all the usual suspects, loose screws, etc.

I thought that I had already read something awhile back about trying different ammo and was looking for confirmation on this.

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
I somehow managed to forget about Fed. Auto Match, which also shoots very well in by "bone-stock" 1022.

Year before last it was hard to find around here, then Wally got a mess of it in and I wound up the season using that, over the Win. Dynapoints. It's also what I mostly shoot in my MkIII 22/45 pistol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts