The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the tru-glo 5 pin fiber optic sight on my Martin saber.
I will finish this season out with it but for next season I am looking for a good 1 pin set up
any one recommend a good 1 pin sight that really stands out for older eyes
I only use 1 pin now on the tru-glo I have the other 4 pins are off the sight

·
Registered
83 Posts
Vital Gear Makes a nice one pin . I have there 3 pin and its very bright

·
Registered
30 Posts
try hindsight. all i use no more peep should b good for old eyes. you can remove extra pins, save for replcements. i would not use any other sight. once you shoot a deer in low light that you know you could not have seen through peep. they also sell rear sight alone to complement your existing sight

·
Super Moderator
7,817 Posts
HHA Optimizer. I have an OL5500. When you open the rheostat on the fiber, it looks like there's a light bulb in the sight pin. The 5500 has an 0.023" (or something like that) pin, which target shooters won't like, but you can NOT miss it in the woods when you're hunting. I'm 33, and my eyes are still fairly sharp (I hunt sometimes with a Krag-Jorgensen or M1903 rifle, both of which have famously bad fine open sights), but I still love that HHA sight.

HHA has fantastic customer service, too. They're not the cheapest sights out there, but they're tough, they work, they're bright, and are supported by great CS.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
+1 on HHA. I have been using it for two years and have come to love it. Sight it in well and know your distances in the woods and it makes things simple.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I was actually just going to post a question about 1 pin sights. I have an old altier peep sight that I want to put on my bow. I find that multiple pins are confusing to look at and are usually unneeded. ! pin at 30 yards is good. You just have to know when to aim a little high or low.

·
Super Moderator
7,817 Posts
Not if you use a sliding sight, like the HHA (others make them, too). I have a "fan" on the back of the sight with marks for 20-60 yards in 10 yards increments with "half" marks between. Set the indicator to the yardage you are shooting, put the pin where you want the arrow, and let 'er fly!

I set my HHA to 20 yards in the treestand. Keeps me on the mark up close, and I know it's only 2" low at 30 set that way. Beyond 30, if I don't have the time to adjust the sight properly, I don't have the time to take the shot.

·
Registered
20,880 Posts
I have an HHA and agree that it's a great moveable sight.I have used it for hunting but I prefer a sword with 4 pins.Also,I'd rather shoot the bowhunter class is 3D so the HHA is out.Definately a great sight however.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I use a pendulum sight on my dads bow. works fine for me.

·
Super Moderator
7,817 Posts
dce said:
I have an HHA and agree that it's a great moveable sight.I have used it for hunting but I prefer a sword with 4 pins.Also,I'd rather shoot the bowhunter class is 3D so the HHA is out.Definately a great sight however.
HHA sights aren't considered bowhunting sights? Huh....I've been hunting with one for going on 10 years.

(Not directed at you, just at the class restrictions...never knew about that, but that shows how much competitive shooting I do!)

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had problems seeing pins clearly, I switched this yr. to hha5519, 1 pin opened up sight picture alot & dropping from .29 to .19 helped. Sword Centaurian is also a nice 1 pin.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
tdd- in IBO classifications, "Advanced Hunter, Hunter, Men's Bowhunter Release, Female Bowhunter Release" (to name a few) classes all require fixed pins. This usually refers to pins that would require some mechanical device to loosen the pin and move it, therefore once you enter the course, you cannot move any of your pins. The HHA one pin site is moveable on the course, therefore cannot be used in those classes. It can be used in Men's Bowhunter Open, Female Bowhunter Open, Men's Senior, Female Seniors, and Master Class Bowhunter. In those classes you can have "moveable" sites.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I have a 1 pin Tru Glow Range Rover. I shoot it just like a rifle peep. I practice range identification, relative to arrow drop, and I use hold over as the aiming benchmarks and never adjust the range settings. I love it.

·
Registered
20,880 Posts
tdd said:
dce said:
No moveable sights in the bowhunter class.I don't shoot much 3D lately and most likely won't for the next fer years.However,when I do,I use the exact same set-up as I hunt with.Using a moveable sight puts you in an unlimited class where guys use set-ups that they would never hunt with.

HHA sights aren't considered bowhunting sights? Huh....I've been hunting with one for going on 10 years.

(Not directed at you, just at the class restrictions...never knew about that, but that shows how much competitive shooting I do!)

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Lonewolf- if your range for a deer is out beyond 30 yds, the .019 pin will take up less space in front of the deer and allow for a better point of aim. If you limit yourself to inside 30 yds, then either one is fine, it would be a personal choice. I use a .019 for hunting and a .010 for 3D and indoor target.

·
Registered
136 Posts
HHA 5500 .019 pin set it it at 20 yards aim a little high at 30 yards beyond that you should have a chance to move it If not don't shoot 30 yrds is a long shot in the woods I have bad eyes too and the .019 pin works well for me good luck

1 - 20 of 24 Posts