The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your #1 go to handgun for hunting. Revolver?? Single shot?? Or pistol?? Then show us a picture of your #1. Why is yours the best??

Personally I like a revolver. My choice of cartridge is 44 magnum. But I do shoot alot of reduced loads in mine. I went to a Leupold Red dot sight for mine. I can get better accuracy at 100 yards and slightly beyond that I can with open sights. My open sight limit with a good revolver is 75 yards.

I will admit that I have been really considering one of the new S&W 460's. But my Stealth Hunter shoots so well. Tom.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I do not have pictures ready to be posted, but mine was a S&W 586 .357 with a 6" barrel. Notice I said was - It has been recently replaced by a Ruger Blackhawk 45 LC with a 5.5" barrel and custom (hotter) that factory reloads.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Scoped T/C contender in 375 win with a 12 inch ported barrel, oversized walnut grips.

Adjustable trigger, reasonably light and short overall length. It shoots great and kills what ever it hits; to date 7 whitetails and a few wild boar in Florida some 300+. Never needed a second shot.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bet that 375 knocks the snot out of them. I have always liked that cartridge. Are you casting your bullets for that one?? Tom.

·
Registered
25,479 Posts
What's up with all them thingamabobs on those pistols?

Have killed deer with the 6" M629; woodchucks with the 4" M686; 'chucks, crows and other small varmints, with my 6" Taurus M96 (22 rimfire).

All "naturally aspirated"...er, meant eyeballed.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
DennyF said:
What's up with all them thingamabobs on those pistols?

Have killed deer with the 6" M629; woodchucks with the 4" M686; 'chucks, crows and other small varmints, with my 6" Taurus M96 (22 rimfire).

All "naturally aspirated"...er, meant eyeballed.
I use a "naturally aspirated" 4 inch 629 Mountain Gun for just about anything I hunt with a handgun. Occasionally I'll drag the 6 inch 629 out

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

Bullberry built 7mmBR now scoped with a 2x7 firing 120 grn NBT's

Although this Savage Striker in 308 did well for me last year at 168 yds

getting a 35 REM XP ready for bear this year.
Looking for a XP in 221FB for varmints and have a 222 heavy duty Hart build on layaway that should be picked up soon for GHogs

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hoggshead.
I have shoot the 200 grain flat nose jacketed, and the 220 grain cast. The cast just doesn't seem to shoot at all?

They don't shoot nearly as well as the 270 grain spitzer. From bags and the scope cranked up, it groups 2 inches at 100 yds. the ballance is great for off hand shooting (two handed). I can't tell you how many deer/boar/woodchucks it has killed.

Only problem is the 270 is made for the 375 H&H mag, and doesn't expand on deer at all. Good for boar, but toooo stiff for deer. So I now hollow point the 270gr making it a 260 grain hollow point and it expands, but doesn't fly apart.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I should have mention, I have the Marlin 375 lever also. It refuses to shoot my 270 bullets at all. I was willing to single shot it. But the lever only shoots the 200 grain flat nose bullets. but kills deer and hogs.

I shoot a lot of hogs and think the 375 win is about the best for body shots. I also love my 8mm double rifle for hogs.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I hunt with a Freedom Arms model 83, 44 mag with a 3 pound trigger, 7 1/2" bbl and a Leupold 2 1/2 X 8 handgun scope. Doc in Pa.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts