The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a stigma in this state that all a hunter will "ever need" is one deer per year.

Let me first state that I don't believe animals should be wasted or we should shoot them up "because we can".

That being said, what's wrong with hunters that harvest multiple animals (deer) as long as they are harvested legally and ethically especially if they consume them themselves?

The PGC issues tags in each WMU to reach a harvest quota and they know that for example they need to issue 4 tags to harvest an antlerless deer. So, what's the problem people have with a hunter that harvests 2,3,4 or more deer and they consume them?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That is not a "stigma" that is an opinion.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
John is correct. Its tough for a new generation to understand, but in the best days of PA hunting, to harvest your buck was a big deal. To even get a doe tag with the old system was lucky, and many many hunters did not ever apply. It was looked upon in those days as way too easy to kill a doe, and it was. There was an auora about outsmarting a nice buck, and bragging rights came along with it. The new science of deer management changed all that, and I do think its for the best. There is however an aging generation who will always think shooting doe is wrong, or way too easy. We as Pa hunters have the choice of buying the tags or not, but we must respect both sides of the issue. Neither is wrong, thats my opinion.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Lets say it was easier to kill a doe, than it was to be successful in obtaining a doe license.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
John is correct. Its tough for a new generation to understand, but in the best days of PA hunting, to harvest your buck was a big deal. To even get a doe tag with the old system was lucky, and many many hunters did not ever apply. It was looked upon in those days as way too easy to kill a doe, and it was. There was an auora about outsmarting a nice buck, and bragging rights came along with it. The new science of deer management changed all that, and I do think its for the best. There is however an aging generation who will always think shooting doe is wrong, or way too easy. We as Pa hunters have the choice of buying the tags or not, but we must respect both sides of the issue. Neither is wrong, thats my opinion.
Great post Joe. I'm 31 and i guess part of the "new" thinking. I personally have real trouble comprehending some of the logic put forth by the "old" generation but I guess to each their own. My real issues start when hunters continually try to limit other hunters opportunities because it might not align perfectly with their beliefs. Seems silly and nearsighted to me and IMO not healthy for the future of the sport. Hope everyone has a great and safe Christmas, and good luck tomorrow getting that 1st, 2nd, 3rd... deer tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Joe the Logger said:

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
There seems to be a stigma in this state that all a hunter will "ever need" is one deer per year.
Many years ago when it was a PA law it was an accepted view. But I would say that those who still hold to this idea are few, very few.

Times change & if PA had this law today the habitat & human conflict issues would be unreal.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
i'm not to sure on it's easier to kill a doe then a buck...most buck i have harvasted have just been lumbering through and not even paying attention to the area....now doe on the other hand have been alert and watching every movement or sound....i have never gotten buck fever, but when it comes to doe's i get rattled like you never seen.........bob

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
bob1961 said:
i'm not to sure on it's easier to kill a doe then a buck...most buck i have harvasted have just been lumbering through and not even paying attention to the area....now doe on the other hand have been alert and watching every movement or sound....i have never gotten buck fever, but when it comes to doe's i get rattled like you never seen.........bob

I seen a big change in how does act in the last 5 yrs .when i was a kid does would come up and stand in front of ya.Or they wouldent run far ir you kicked them up.Now they go No looking back,They had to wise up or they all would be gone.But i would have to have 6 hungry kids at home before i would kill one J M O

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
that behavior started as soon as the combined seasons started. does used to walk past non-chalantly for two weeks of buck season. then come the monday after buck, those does were nowhere to be found. it was a real accomplishment to even get a doe license in those days. i consider myself a pretty good hunter with almost 40 years of experience but i'll tell you, i never thought doe season was a guarantee.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Now those little scrub bucks walk around like the does used to. I see the same little scrubs almost daily, yet the does are few and far between.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I started hunting back in the 50s so remember the one and done deer tag very well.The ability for a hunter to acquire more than one deer tag, is IMO one of the best things that ever happened.
It also made honest deer hunters out of more than one.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I remember the NO DOE HUNTING posters in Potter and other northern countys. It was almost impossible to get a "DOE" tag if you were not a resident of that county. This was in late 60s early 70s when one saw 40 to 50 deer a day during the Buck season. Beau Coup winter kill and roadkill.
Don't want to go back to that era so I do the best I can to keep the herd on the property I hunt healthy and harvest what needs to be taken. Some I consume and some goes to HSH.
Smage

·
Registered
21,546 Posts
Tidewaterguide said:

Let me first state that I don't believe animals should be wasted or we should shoot them up "because we can".

That being said, what's wrong with hunters that harvest multiple animals (deer) as long as they are harvested legally and ethically especially if they consume them themselves?

The PGC issues tags in each WMU to reach a harvest quota and they know that for example they need to issue 4 tags to harvest an antlerless deer. So, what's the problem people have with a hunter that harvests 2,3,4 or more deer and they consume them?
No problem here. As long as you are legal and use em all, it's none of my business how many you kill.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I am also a "new gen" kid I guess, and I'm not much of a doe shooter. I've been fortunate enough to kill a buck with the bow in 6 of the last 8 years. The main reason I don't kill doe, is my own experience and lack of patience which led to me killing three button bucks. Makes me sick walking up on one, especially in my good spots. I have quit shooting does within the last 3 years, as one deer is more than enough for me for a year. However, I do buy a doe tag or two each year just to be able to get out and "hunt" a little more after archery. I have nothing against those who shoot 2 or 3 deer a season, but more than that I see as too much IMO. I know too many people who kill 4 deer a year and don't eat anything. It's just for the thrill of the hunt. To me, that's not right and I'll never believe it is. To each their own though as everyone would say, and if you can take down 4 in a year, congrats to ya. Just something I personally couldn't do as one deer is perfect for me.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I never had a problem with people killing more than one deer a year. Until there was a problem with the herd in those area's. When you have a guy shooting 8-12 deer out of "your" area for the past 8 years...then you tend to have a problem. love his quote this year "its not as good as years past in there"

1 - 20 of 37 Posts