The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone have any experience shooting a TC maxi-ball in a ML with an 1-66 twist? Is this twist rate too slow to stabilize a 320gr maxi-ball. Before I make a purchase that may prove to be a wrong one. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Maxis and conicals shoot well out of 1:28 etc twist AND shallow cut rifling.
Shallow cut rifling gives less chance of blowby when shooting a conical.
It all depends on how accurate you want it to be.Smooth bores will often give less than 3" groups at 50 yds with a bare ball and a fiber wad.Rifled barrels often give 1 1/2" at 50yds with many cutting the same hole.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Shot the TC Maxi 370 grainer out of a TC Firestorm(1-48 bbl) but nothing slower. My first flinter was a TC PA Hunter 1-66 bbl and the patched round ball was the best bullet. Personally I would opt for the patched rb, 245 Powerbelt AeroTip or Hornady 240 gr PA Conical.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I agree with Strut 10. Those Pa conicals are pretty good in a 1:66 twist. If you like casting your own the Lee Precision 250gr REAL bullet is another very acccurate one, and one I much perferred over a patched ball in my 1:66 twist barrel.

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PA conical 50cal

I did some research on the Hornady PA conical 50 cal and diameter is shown as .512. Will these be hard to load in a Lyman Great Plains 1-66 twist rifle? I didn't think I could use anything larger than .50 diameter. I'm a little confused about the diameter size. :help:

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I did some research on the Hornady PA conical 50 cal and diameter is shown as .512. Will these be hard to load in a Lyman Great Plains 1-66 twist rifle? I didn't think I could use anything larger than .50 diameter. I'm a little confused about the diameter size. :help:
Barrels listed as .50 caliber by various manufacturers often vary from .495 through .505 caliber. I think Lyman bbls are .502 land to land. You should be snug which is good.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Loggy, thank you buddy. :wink2:
You're very welcome. Be sure to report back on how they load/shoot for you. A lot of guys here have Lymans. I had a 54 GPR but sold it when i got my Brad Emig 54 PA Mountain Rifle. Lyman makes a nice flinter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts