The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie question, I recently got a Traditions Deerhunter and was wondering if power-belts would be fine in a 1:48 twist rifle? If not, what is a better option.

Also, what amount of powder is a good starting point, 75 grains? 85? 90 or 100?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yep, no doubt. Powerbelts and that twist rate just work. Very accurate. What caliber is the rifle? If it's a 50 I would use the 85 grains. I use 3f in the pan and the barrel.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I shoot 100gr. of ff triple 7 behind a 245gr. powerbelt in a deerhunter. Just wondering why nobody is using a similar charge?? It shoots good, just want to make sure I'm being safe.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
psychobeagle12 said:
Yep, no doubt. Powerbelts and that twist rate just work. Very accurate. What caliber is the rifle? If it's a 50 I would use the 85 grains. I use 3f in the pan and the barrel.

50 cal

·
Registered
18,567 Posts
Stick to the lighter PB in 1/48. The heavier, and therefore longer the projectile, the faster the twist needed to stabilize them. 245 Aerotips shoot wonderfully in my 1/48.

·
Registered
27 Posts
archerydude21 said:
I shoot 100gr. of ff triple 7 behind a 245gr. powerbelt in a deerhunter. Just wondering why nobody is using a similar charge?? It shoots good, just want to make sure I'm being safe.
Jester shoots the same load and bullet with a 5gr 3f BP kicker added before main charge. His gun shoots 1" groups at 50yds and 1 1/2" at 100. He's been shooting that exact load for about 10 yrs and had no issues taking bear, deer, antelope and a boar.

Some guys shy away from the 777 due to ignition delays at times. The 3gr. 3 f bp kicker eliminates the delay. He and several guys he hunts with all are using the load and bullet. Lyman GP hunter and deerstalker, a couple Traditions and a Cabelas rifle are all working well with it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
archerydude21 said:
Ever had any hangfires or ignition delays with straight 777?

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
magnus said:
archerydude21 said:
I've tried Pyrodex and 777 in my flintlock and it has a horrid delay with no BP 'kicker' in the bbl. It's fine, with no delay at all with 5gr BP first though.

I gave up on it since that's not practical in the field for me. I use 2F in the tube and 4F in the pan so it meant three powders to deal with and that's just a PITA. Fine at the range, but just too much for hunting conditions.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yeah, to me I would rather just use straight BP rather than 777 or Pyrodex with a kick charge. I missed several opportunities at deer because a friend had his gun loaded with straight Pyrodex and when I took it out I couldn't get it to go off. Worked enough black into the touchhole to get ignition, then the rest of the day was using his speedloaders after dumping a bit of powder out of my flask down the barrel. Still doesn't seem as fast as straight 3f BP to me.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Goex FFF in barrel...Precision QT Bullet 300 gr...Dixons lightning fast FFFF in the pan. 54 Cal. goes off so fast..not much chance of a "flinch"

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I've been using different Powerbelts in my TC Firestorm - 245, 295,348 & the 405's. They all shoot very well in it w/ it's 1:48 twist w/ both heavy blackpowder and 777 charges. I bump a little FFFFg from the pan in thru the large flashhole on this gun to get the 777 started of quicker. I mounted a scope on it for accuracy testing and this gun LOVES it hot! 150 grs of BP or 777 (this gun is rated for 150 gr. loads - ck. on others) was giving me right around 2 inch 100 yd. groups off the bench with either powder and any of the PB bullet weights. And that's with this atrocious 10 # trigger. The lighter bullets weren't giving consistent pass throughs so I've been migrating heavier and heavier. It likes round ball loads down around 80 grs for best accuracy.

·
Registered
861 Posts
magnus said:
archerydude21 said:
I never had a huge problem with it, but the last few years I do put 5gr. of 4f down the pipe first and 95gr. of 2f triple 7 and it is much better. I can actually get really good ignition with no hangfire without even putting powder in the flashpan. Makes a big difference. Fires more like a rifle now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts