The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I run it for a while, say 15 minutes or so, the "FI" light comes on. The book tells me to check the antifreeze level, and/or oil level, and also that the fan is working.. Supposedly that light means the engine is getting too hot. Well, coolant level is fine, I changed engine oil in spring, and the level is fine, the fan does indeed come on. Any clues as to why it may be getting so hot ? I assume there is a pump that circulates the coolant, so could it be the pump is shot ?

Any Honda mechanics out there ?

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
I have had something similar like that happen before when my radiator was clogged full of mud. Clean thoroughly with a hose.

Not saying that's the problem, but it's worth a try... or a look to see if it's clean.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Willys. I THINK you're joking but not sure.
If not, I'd sure like to hear how it can be related.

bootmud. With a name like bootmud, it figures to have some mud on the rad. screen. That was one of the first things I checked. Nuttin, clean as a whistle. I don't even ride in mud.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only a guess, but I'm thinking it is not cycling coolant through the water jackets ? Maybe a thermostat or water pump ?

I'm not sure I can get the engine hot enough with the radiator cap off to see if it's cycling coolant, but I can try.

I NEED AN ATV MECHANIC.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
My 07 rincon did it with bad batt connection. Also the rad will get clogged but a differnt light will come on tho. Clean your terminals and then check.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Fi is the fuel injection unit

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't have the manual in front of me, but the book actually tells you to check the things I've mentioned above... Oil, Coolant, Clogged rad. screen and fan.

I first noticed the light flicking on/off when I was pulling a brushog behind it. The machine is indeed getting hot (judging by the heat from around my legs), and the fan runs non-stop with that heat. The ATV actually shut itself off a couple times already. Not sure if that is some sort of built-in safety mechanism or not, so it doesn't overheat and ruin "things".

This occurring when it is very hot, and the machine shutting itself off on a few occasions, doesn't lend itself to a bad battery connection, but I'll check.

Oh, and.... the Honda shops won't tell you anything.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
No sir Im not joking. Just like your check engine light on our cars.You can disconnect the positive on your battery for 10 min.9 out of 10 when you re-connect the light will go out.Computer resetting it's selve. Some times a higher octane can help or like cars and trucks just changing out a fuel cap can turn off your check engine light. If your engine shuts down and it's not over heating. To me, sounds like fuel issue if your FI light is on. Could be vapor lock? Engine gets to hot and shuts off.When it cools down starts back up. Your first post was only the light issue.I see you have more problems. Over heating. Let me think on this.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Fan should not run all the time. Your Honda does have a saftey sensor to shut it down when it over heats. Like some said clean your radiator good! You have a oil cooler behind your rad.Pull it back and clean the crap out of the radiator.you have coolant and oil sensor check for broken wires or loose connection! If you add coolant" when cold "keep your radiator cap off until it warms up!Keeps air out of your system.That can and will overheat your engine

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Is the red overheat coming on or is it the FI light?

I have had both come on. When the over heat light comes on i can tell before hand because it seems like the shift points get sluggish from the oil getting thin.

The fi light has came on a few times from loose batt terminals i would hit a bump the machine shut off and then the fi light came on. Tightened terminals and light and problem went away, but i will be willing to bet between the oil cooler and your rad is packed with debris. I spaced mine apart to about a 3/8" gap between the two and cleaning the radiator and oil cooler is a twice a year event. And i really dont run mud anymore

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
59willys... thanks for your timeinhelping me along. It's much appreciated.

Is the red overheat coming on or is it the FI light?
FI light only. Haven't seen an overheat light. I bought a new sparkplug today and put it in. Also diagnosed that the coolant is "cycling". It circulate through the system when the fan comes on. So I doubt it's a coolant or radiator issue, and the heat I feel may be normal ? when having your legs next to a hot running engine in the summertime ? BUT, it did shut itself off when bruchhogging (twice). And that FI light does come on, so???? Maybe it is a bad type of fuel ? I don't know, but I got some 92 Octane to put in it on next fill up.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Did you clean and make sure the batt connection was good?

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yep. battery and conections tight, clean, and in good shape. Thx.

I did have a plug go bad 2 or so years ago. Wouldn't start, just spin the starter. That's why I figured I'd change it out for a couple bucks?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Any chance the radiator fins are plugged with dirt and need cleaned out? I see this all the time on outdoor equipment.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Fleroo,I see you still have the issue.I think it's a wire connection somewhere. Re-check your battery connection " not at the battery" But the other end. Check temp sensor connection,That can cause same issue. Then I would change out your fuel filter,add injection cleaner in your gas.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
The fuel filter is a pain to change. Just an fyi

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Yea,being inside the fuel pump,I would by- pass it with a inline when that time comes. Fleroo, FI light only comes on when you brushhog? Then shuts down? Runs good any other time?I know my tractor radiator is full of crap when I'm done brushogging my field!

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
willys. I have an 8N, so know how clogged those rad screens can get. Especially hogging late in the summer when things dry out some. One of the 1st things I checked were the pre-screen in front of the rad. and the dad. screen itself. Not plugged at all, and still hosed it off for good measure.

I haven't taxed the machine for a while, but suspect the problem is still there, since I've really done nothing to fix it. No, the light will come on when not under a load also, say if I am trail riding for 15-20 straight minutes ?

Would like to change the fuel filter. Didn't know it had one. Guess I can go on Y'tube and try to find a video on "how to" for it.

Thanks all, really appreciate it.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would like to add. I bought fresh 92 Octane fuel, but am trying to run out what remains of the 87 Oct first. I know the daggone Ethanol they are putting in the fuel nowadays is really causing havoc with smaller type engines. It's almost impossible to keep a chainsaw in tip-top running/idling condition any more.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts