The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to compare the centerpoint sniper 370 to the carbon express piledriver 390. Both are in same price range and both have an adjustable stock( my son will be shooting also). Has anyone shot or at least handled both? I’ve held a sniper and liked the feel. I’ve heard the trigger isn’t great. I don’t know much about the piledriver.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
My brother has the sniper. It's solid, good shooter. I personally agree that the trigger is OK at best. A little heavy with a fair amount of creep for my tastes, but you can learn it quick.
My old Barnett Recruit Recurve had a better trigger, my $74 Walmart clearance Bear Kronicle has a much better trigger. (That was a steal of a deal!)
But the learning curve on the sniper is short and the trigger can be mastered pretty easily.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I bought the Carbon Express last 390 pile driver year, I like it, it is fast and it shoots very well. I did put a different scope on it because I wasn't crazy about the one that was on.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I sold my sniper. was to heavy for this old man, Shot very good, Lousy trigger.

Good luck picking, Stant

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kinda seems like that as long as my expectations are on par with a $300 cross bow either will be just fine. Maybe we shall see which goes on sale first!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
You'll be fine either way, especially if you "pre-set" expectations. You're not going to get a "glass rod" trigger break on any $300 xbow, but they won't be Keltec/Highpoint bad either.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I JUST got my kid a CenterPoint "Tormentor" (what a name) 380.

Zero'ed up quick. Mushy trigger, but seems to shoot fast and well.

Only have a little time in with it, but she's a fan so far, and I can't complain at this point yet. It's fairly quiet, too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you want to go even cheaper I bought the Barnett Jackal as my first Xbow about 6 years ago now. You can get new ones on Ebay for $150ish shipped. Might not shoot as fast as a pile driver but for $150 its good for young(er) people to learn on. I killed 2 bucks and 5 doe with mine with no issues.

·
Registered
236 Posts
we have both the sniper 370 for my son and the 380 for myself I have know complaints about either , have killed deer with both in the last couple of years . I had some problems with the 380 when I first bought it but centerpoint gave me a new one so I wouldn t miss anytime in the woods, and the new one has been great no problems

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the recommendations. Picked up a killer instinct last week. I stumbled onto it at Walmart of all places. It is a “bone collector 370”. After I saw it there I did a little looking online and found out it is the same bow as the hero 380. It even has the same model number 1100. Only the camo dip is different.

So far I’ve fired it twice and lost two bolts. One hit the top of the target sailed away through the trees, the second went through my block target and disappeared into the yard. Good thing I was planning on upgrading to some gold tips! Guess I need a new target too.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By the way what are you guys using for crossbow targets? I’d like one that would work with broad heads but bony want to break the bank.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Bulldog targets have a lifetime warranty but are only for field points. They stop my 400 FPS Xbow bolts after about 3-4 inches every shot for hundreds of shots now. I got mine from ebay for under $90. Called Bulldog Doghouse FP plus. I actually have to take mine to my sportsmans club when I shoot because their targets won't stop my bolts. Their mine belt back stop does but I lose a field point every time.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks I’ll check those out. Guess the days of shooting at straw bales are gone

1 - 20 of 20 Posts