The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Archery Gear Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/49-archery-gear-forum/)
-   -   ground blind odor (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/49-archery-gear-forum/96280-ground-blind-odor.html)

TEE 12-30-2013 01:24 PM

ground blind odor

I bought a commander ground blind by sniper treestands on an impulse buy at the local tractor supply. I got it home and set it out for 4 days and there is still a vinyl like odor probably from the water resistant treatment.
Has anyone used any type of treatment to eliminate the odor or will this odor go away over time?

Born2Hunt 12-30-2013 03:23 PM

Re: ground blind odor

I would think the odor will lessen substantially over time if aired outdoors. Air it out during Spring turkey season. The turkeys won't care.

hightine 12-31-2013 03:26 AM

Took mine about 4 months to where I couldn't smell it. I put it in a location on my property where the wind has a tendency to funnel thru harder with the windows down.

3 Jaegers 12-31-2013 12:16 PM

Had the same problem with a blind.

Filled a 5 gal bucket with warm water & dead down wind laundry detergent and washed the thing inside out.

Strung it up (open position) with some 550 cord off the ground to dry outside.

A few days later smell was gone!

I still spray it down with DDW after handling it.

Hope this helps, but now that everything is made in china it's loaded with chemical smells, etc.....

Born2Hunt 12-31-2013 04:24 PM

I spray mine early in the year with Scotch Guard and let it air over a few day in the sun and wind.

TEE 12-31-2013 07:09 PM

Thanks. I will try the dead down wind spray.

3 Jaegers 12-31-2013 11:50 PM

The spray will help, but if you wash it with the laundry detergent (available at Wal mart / Dick's) it will have the most effect on the stink.

Buck Whisperer 01-01-2014 02:42 AM

Its gonna take time, just like rubber boots. Air it out. Use it during turkey season like someone mentioned. They recommend you buy your boots months in advance before you wear them afield for bow hunting.

mus42tang 01-01-2014 02:55 PM

Ha, I'd probably spray it with my homemade killer scent.
The m'am in the house ran over a mattress on the interstate and it caught fire. The vehicle was alright except for terrible smoke damage. Got a bill for $1500.

Sprayed it on a weekend a number of times with the homemade scent killer, and the smell went away. Remember well not spending that $1500. Ha!

And I don't worry if anyone believes nothing.