The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Shotgun and Handgun Hunting Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/57-shotgun-handgun-hunting-forum/)
-   -   Remington 870 Pump not ejecting shells? (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/57-shotgun-handgun-hunting-forum/85578-remington-870-pump-not-ejecting-shells.html)

Navigator 08-18-2013 12:52 PM

Remington 870 Pump not ejecting shells?

We where shooting a round of clay birds yesterday and my sons Remington 870 would not grab the empty shell and eject. I took of the barrel a used a bench rod to nock the shell out...
Anyone have this happen to them? I was using factory ammo and my son informed that this was not the first time that this happened.

mightyjoeyoung 08-18-2013 01:27 PM

Re: Remington 870 Pump not ejecting shells?

Rough chamber? Poorly cast extractor? (they aren't machined any more), Just needs cleaned? What factory ammo? (some have smaller/thinner rims than others) Could be any of the things I just listed. Take a loof in the chamber. Are there any obvious rough spots? If you can SEE any rough spots, I'd send the barrel right back to Remington. If you don't see anything out of the ordinary, carefully run a finger around the inside of the chamber, feeling for rough areas/burrs. if the chamber is good, look at the extractor. They are ALL cast parts now and can have a tendancy to have rounded edges, which can hinder extraction by allowing it to slip off the hull rim. Lastly, does the gun just need a good, thorough cleaning? Could be the notch for the extracor in the barrel, the extractor or both are clogged with gunk. Good luck.

spunky 08-19-2013 02:00 PM

Take a brass wire cleaning brush and wrap some fine steel wool around it. Place in a hand drill using the cleaning rod to do the whole barrel and smoooth out the chamber. Usually about 4-5 minutes will do. Give the gun a good cleaning especially around where the extracter is and it will stop the failure to eject.

Some cheap promo shells have a small rim where the extracter grabs the shell head causing this also. But go with the polishing first. This will remove many of the machining marks and make it nice and smooth. Common problem with the new 870's.

Callmaker60 08-19-2013 05:46 PM

Contact Remington for help.

treed74 08-20-2013 01:20 PM

A clean gun is a happy gun and the where the ejector is a great place for dirt and debris to gather. I use bore blast or some other spray bore cleaner and hit the bolt real good. My 870 is 25 years old and I've never had that issue or other unless it was junked up.

spunky 08-21-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callmaker60
Contact Remington for help.

Look at other hunting and shooting sites, Shotgun world, Duck Hunting chat, The Refuge you will see that many other people have had the same problem with newer Remingtons. Most times the problem happens to be poor finishing on the chamber due to tool marks. A little buffing will fix it 90% of the time.