The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Archery Gear Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/49-archery-gear-forum/)
-   -   The Oxymoron (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/49-archery-gear-forum/84228-oxymoron.html)

mus42tang 07-28-2013 11:39 AM

The Oxymoron

It's not sweat off my nose, but this is one oxymoron, the meeting point of two things that don't match.
You see a 310 pound hunter looking for a new tree stand. It intrigues me how such a big guy even wants to climb trees. Or even carry the tree stand into the woods once, with his extra weight.

Finding 250 lb. weight limit tree stands is getting rarer. And even climbing stands are getting rarer.

I can see the "what do you mean your tree stand won't fit me."
Or, "you mean to say somebody built that tree stand without a 350 lb. weight limit."

Pa.Bone 07-28-2013 12:00 PM

Re: The Oxymoron

One of my son's friends weighs 350 and hunts from a Summit Goliath treestand. He had no trouble until last year and while climbing a tree the stand collapsed. The metal didn't break it just bent and folded down. Summit sent him a new stand and he is on a diet

repsagA29 07-28-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mus42tang
It's not sweat off my nose, but this is one oxymoron, the meeting point of two things that don't match.
You see a 310 pound hunter looking for a new tree stand. It intrigues me how such a big guy even wants to climb trees. Or even carry the tree stand into the woods once, with his extra weight.

Finding 250 lb. weight limit tree stands is getting rarer. And even climbing stands are getting rarer.

Or, "you mean to say somebody built that tree stand without a 350 lb. weight limit."

Sir, you should have you very own forum!!!

THINBLUELINE 07-28-2013 02:26 PM

The next time you meet a 350# hunter, ask him why he would want to climb a tree, and let us know how that works out for you.

DethFrumAbuv 07-28-2013 03:37 PM

I suppose it also depends on whether said big guy is 6' 7" or if he's 5' 11". Or she.

I think a big ol' tall boy (or gal) could easily start sniffing the 350 mark and be in fine shape. Now, someone right around the 6' mark and is halfway to 400 from 300 might have some challenges in climbing a tree.

I'm 6' even and usually within a biscuit (not a Whisker Biscuit, mind you, I'm a QAD guy) of 200, so if I was even just half more the guy I am now, I would be, well, "fluffy", and I think trees might be a little bit of a stretch.

Asajoe1 07-28-2013 03:59 PM

My buddys son is well over 300# and uses the Summit Goliath as well. Last year after getting married he got even bigger and had to shop around for a safety harness that would fit. He is still fairly young and has no problem climbing but in 10 years it may be a different story!

berksbowman 07-28-2013 04:10 PM

im 6'6" 335#, I will climb in and use any well know treestand. I have 2 lone wolf sit and climbs and 2 buckshot hotshots for climbers. I also have about 6 ladders and about 30 hang ons from Dicks. Most stands are rated to 300, I dont think that extra 35# is going to matter!

grovey 07-28-2013 04:27 PM

So.. why come here to complain? Why didn't you express your disdain for big guys right to hunt to the said 310lb hunter? Maybe you two could of discussed his dislike of internet trolls who worry about other peoples business.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mus42tang

Buck Whisperer 07-28-2013 07:28 PM

I used to be a pretty big guy. Back in 2005 i was benching 405 lbs and tipping the scales at 288 lbs at 5'10" tall. I had no problem climbing tree's, setting stands, you name it. Im down to 225 now and dont lift the heavy weights as much anymore. I focus more on being physically fit these days.

Strut10 07-29-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berksbowman
im 6'6" 335#........ Most stands are rated to 300, I dont think that extra 35# is going to matter!

I pray you are right. That's one think it would really STINK to be wrong about. https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/imag...lies/frown.gif