The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Trapping Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/26-trapping-forum/)
-   -   newbi (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/26-trapping-forum/73570-newbi.html)

stroker97 02-13-2013 03:54 PM

newbi

I saw someone else's "Newbie" thread and read through the posts. I will be getting the catalogs that most have said to get to order supplies from. I looked on trapperman.com and you need to basically provide your first born to them to get started posting. But you get on that site or any site for that matter and its not directed towards where you live.

Just like fishing, up steam about 100 yds I could be nailing trout left and right, move down because someone said theirs bigger trout, not a bite.

I've seen this forum has been active and once again PA hunters and trappers won't let me down. I think we have the best following over any other state.

With all that being said....

I want to get into trapping. I have some knowledge from a buddy that I used to run around with before I moved. But that was only enough to set a "pan trap" if that's what their called. Your normal foot hold trap, critter steps on pan and wham its foot is held. I know I can buy books, then they collect dust after I learn the basic art of trapping. So I don't want to buy books if I don't have to.

I know about sifting dirt, I just need to make sifting pan.

I'm located in Snyder county, near Penn creek. In will be trapping in the mountains, where I live. And also on my great uncles farm which has a good crick running through it. My grandfather told me that my great uncle's dad trapped mink at the farm, but that was more than 30 yes ago.

I'm looking for insight on techniques, and how to on trapping in these areas.

Kind of looking for a close knit group of trappers to be in contact with.

I'm thinking about being the PA Trappers, if I pay postage, could someone send me a few back issues of the magazine, or what they put out monthly?

OldMink 02-13-2013 04:34 PM

Re: newbi

Here's a good place to start.

http://www.patrappers.com/

Join the association and attend the district meetings. At the meetings you will meet guys from your area who will give you tips and the like.

Also the association holds an annual convention which is really worthwhile attending. You can buy any trapping supplies there, compare prices, etc. There's demonstrations with question and answer periods.

With your membership to the PTA you will get a monthly subscription to The Trapper and Predator Caller Magazine. For that subscription alone it's worth joining the Association.

Furdog 02-13-2013 04:45 PM

What Old Mink said x2. Once you are on Trapperman the Archives are great source of knowledge.

Callmaker60 02-13-2013 05:39 PM

Research, and read, lots of info, like others said here, YouTube, and trapperman.

stroker97 02-13-2013 05:57 PM

I looked at the district I'm in, and there is nothing comming up this year for the district. I'm still waiting for trapper man to accept me.

uncle buck 02-13-2013 06:01 PM

Get to know the animal that you will be trapping too...Not only in the books but watch how they act... Go out after snow falls and track them.. Watch how they check brush piles out and just where they like to travel. coyotes for one like to take the least resistance to save energy... So you'd be better off placing a trap for them down an old farm lane instead of out in the middle of stubble corn..
This is also important for people who call them... Recognize them as the mammal that they are. we are mammals and they are mammals.. What impacts the human the mammal will impact the predator the mammal.. for example on a windy day they like to get out of the wind too just like a human mammal would. so they will be in the Leeward side of the hill where there is less wind and prey animals mammals are there too...They will be in stands of pines then too..Keeping out of the wind just like the human mammal would.. Also watch an old farm dog sometime or your dog as it runs down a farm lane...Canine...they check things out the same way as a domestic dog..just a different way of learning how to be a better caller and trapper...Know your targeted animal and start to think like them a bit too...

gibsonlespaul 02-13-2013 09:02 PM

There are some people on Trapperman that leave alot to be desired , last i heard an administrater on there was possibly in trouble for slander and deflamtion issues with a certain said BUSINESS ....

Still having heard one way or the other , but i go onto HalL Sullivans site its pretty good ..
I wont go onto Trapperman anymore for the way the Administration on that site bad mouth businesses that THEY dont like ....

buckmasters243 02-13-2013 09:44 PM

I see no problem with joining trapperman they make you share some things to the moderators to check if you are a hacker computer or anti trapper. They have lots of info if you check the archives.

Lugnut 02-13-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibsonlespaul
There are some people on Trapperman that leave alot to be desired , last i heard an administrater on there was possibly in trouble for slander and deflamtion issues with a certain said BUSINESS ....

You really are a piece of work buddy. No such trouble exists, except in your mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibsonlespaul
I wont go onto Trapperman anymore for the way the Administration on that site bad mouth businesses that THEY dont like ....

You won't go there anymore because you were banned for shooting off your mouth after someone correctly pointed out the error of your ways.

stroker97, Tman screens new members hard because of many attacks by antis posing as trappers in the past. Once you are a member you will have access to a great wealth of info in the archives from some of the biggest names in trapping across the country. Much of that info is region specific.

stroker97 02-13-2013 10:26 PM

Yea just waiting for acceptence to there. I figure I try here too, because its a PA website. Lol. I prefer hearing about PA hunters and trappers rather than trapping tactics in Wyoming. Lol