The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Trapping Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/26-trapping-forum/)
-   -   How to stop traps from freezing? (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/26-trapping-forum/71413-how-stop-traps-freezing.html)

Dieseldemutis 01-23-2013 03:38 PM

How to stop traps from freezing?

My dad went to check my traps. He said he came up to my second set a nice red was ontop of the sent diggin around he said he thaught he was trapped. He said the fox ran he checked the trap and it was frozen in the dirt hole.

Alpine Shooter 01-23-2013 03:41 PM

Re: How to stop traps from freezing?

Get some dirt from under old house trailers, and add fine salt.

montana bound 01-23-2013 03:44 PM

Here's what I do with all my land sets. I buy a roll of butchers paper, it is waxed on one side. I dig out a large trap bed and put down a sheet of paper several inches bigger then the trap.place trap on paper and make set with very dry dirt(I have a huge pile from when they dug our basement that I take from)The butchers paper acts as a barrier and keeps moister from the ground from leaking into your dry dirt and making it freeze when temps drop.
It should keep your sets operational for several days of freeze and thaw

Dieseldemutis 01-23-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montana bound
Here's what I do with all my land sets. I buy a roll of butchers paper, it is waxed on one side. I dig out a large trap bed and put down a sheet of paper several inches bigger then the trap.place trap on paper and make set with very dry dirt(I have a huge pile from when they dug our basement that I take from)The butchers paper acts as a barrier and keeps moister from the ground from leaking into your dry dirt and making it freeze when temps drop.
It should keep your sets operational for several days of freeze and thaw

Ok Ill try that it should also work with a hay set im guessing.

montana bound 01-23-2013 04:06 PM

Yes it should.

Lugnut 01-23-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdemutis
My dad went to check my traps. He said he came up to my second set a nice red was ontop of the sent diggin around he said he thaught he was trapped. He said the fox ran he checked the trap and it was frozen in the dirt hole.

PEAT MOSS!

Furdog 01-23-2013 05:16 PM

I put waxed paper under the trap and dried peat moss over the trap. Sprinkle a little dried dirt over top to blend. I gave up on trying to put peat under the trap, a pain getting it to bed solid.

TrapperDan30 01-23-2013 05:18 PM

buckwheat hulls

Redq23 01-23-2013 05:57 PM

1/2-3/4 inch of peat moss. Bed your trap good. Use nails to stablize if you have to. Than 1/4-1/2 inch of peat moss on top. Its not easy to bed in peat moss but if you work at it a lil you can get it.

panaxman 01-23-2013 06:36 PM

hay set