The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Shotgun and Handgun Hunting Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/57-shotgun-handgun-hunting-forum/)
-   -   Registration Question (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/57-shotgun-handgun-hunting-forum/65702-registration-question.html)

m77lewis 11-27-2012 08:53 PM

Registration Question

Do handguns have to be registered to carry in Pa?
Also if a gun IS registered, does it matter who is carrying it? For example when I turned 18 (A long time ago!) My Dad bought me a handgun that I still carry, it isn't registered in my name, does that matter?

Steve in PA 11-27-2012 09:22 PM

Re: Registration Question

No, nothing has to be registered.

In fact, there is a State Law that makes it illegal to have a registry.

The data base of firearms transfers if often referred to as an illegal registry since many in law enforcement like to use if as such. Any firearm seized because it doesn't show up in the data base (illegal registry) is an ILLEGAL seizure.

Firearms do not have to be transferred between certain people, like parent/child, grandparent/child and husband/wife provided they are both residents of PA and not prohibited from owning a firearm.

COR 11-27-2012 11:32 PM

Steve is correct, just a Pa urban legend I hear constantly from many misinformed residents. just have a carry license (if concealing it ) and you'll be fine. That will cover hunting too.

No such thing as "registering" a firearm.

m77lewis 11-28-2012 01:36 PM

Thanks guys

MadHunter86 11-28-2012 01:48 PM

Not to hijack the thread but what if say my buddy gives me his handgun bc he dosent want them in the house anymore per his wife's orders. Does that need to be transfered at an ffl or not?. Also if he is in on the other side of the state does he need to be there to transfer it? I have his name, address, and phone #.

Buckshot1822 11-28-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadHunter86
Not to hijack the thread but what if say my buddy gives me his handgun bc he dosent want them in the house anymore per his wife's orders. Does that need to be transfered at an ffl or not?. Also if he is in on the other side of the state does he need to be there to transfer it? I have his name, address, and phone #.

Yes, they need to go through an FFL deal.......It would make it easier if he was there in person to do it.....

m77lewis 11-28-2012 03:29 PM

Ok, what if he doesn't transfer it?
I saw the site with the exempt from transfer names, parent to child, spouse ect, what if I gave my sister a handgun? This was 20 years ago, I bought it at a gun shop and gave it to her for her 18th birthday and she still carries it today and has a concealed permit, what do we need to do, if anything?

m77lewis 11-28-2012 03:48 PM

Also is there a way to check on a gun using the serial numbers?

groat 11-28-2012 07:18 PM

Every registered handgun can be checked through its serial number to the owner. ATF can or the Police can do this through an ATF site called Etrace

Steve in PA 11-29-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m77lewis
Ok, what if he doesn't transfer it?
I saw the site with the exempt from transfer names, parent to child, spouse ect, what if I gave my sister a handgun? This was 20 years ago, I bought it at a gun shop and gave it to her for her 18th birthday and she still carries it today and has a concealed permit, what do we need to do, if anything?

If you did not transfer the handgun given to you by your friend, you and/or your friend committed a crime.

You cannot "give" your sister a handgun. Transfers between siblings are not one of the exceptions. Again, another criminal offense.

Both illegal transfers are second degree misdemeanors