The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Big Game Hunting Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/21-big-game-hunting-forum/)
-   -   Morning or Evening (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/21-big-game-hunting-forum/60557-morning-evening.html)

PaTenPointGrl 10-07-2012 03:45 PM

Morning or Evening

This is my first year hunting. I did go out last year with my husband, saw a lot of action, but no luck. I'm wondering if the success for everyone is better in the morning or the evening? It seems that when we get out in the evening, we don't see any deer until its right at dark. And every time we've gone out in the morning we haven't seen anything at all.

huntin-nut 10-07-2012 04:39 PM

Re: Morning or Evening

I guess you answered your own question. Seriously though it all depends on the spot. Some areas work better in the morning and some evening. You have to evaluate each location. All my spots are better evening stands as it is almost impossible to get to the stands without spooking deer in the morning, better when bedded to get in during the afternoon and then let them move. I rarely hunt mornings especially this time of year as my success is like yours - see little to nothing in morning, better in evening. Activity should start picking up earlier in evenings now as weather chills some and rut activity increases. When hot they don't like moving until it cools some which is why you see them right at dark - cooler temps to move in.

WexfordBowhunter 10-07-2012 04:46 PM

My successes have been split almost 50-50 between morning and evening. It all depends on your spot.

Jms44 10-07-2012 04:48 PM

20 Attachment(s)
Once the rut kicks in to full gear and if you have the time. Spend the entire day out in the woods. Pack a lunch and you will be suprised what you see mid-day.

turkey4life 10-07-2012 04:51 PM

evening

3D Hunter 10-07-2012 05:24 PM

early in the season I see more deer in the am. I don't really start to hunt hard for them till the 25th or so when the action starts to pick up. usually that first good cold front towards the end of october is good and that is when I really start to get after them.

trapperrick 10-07-2012 05:31 PM

I have differnt spots, 1 or 2 for a morning hunt and 1 or 2 afternoon / evening hunt. I've hunted these areas in years past where I hunted the evening spot in the morning and morning spot in the evening and 8 times out of 10 don't see anything. Not sure if anybody else works it this way but this is what I have run into for the past 33 years of bow hunting. During gun season, there are enough guys to push deer in any type of spot.

PaTenPointGrl 10-08-2012 12:41 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll continue to go out in the evening and maybe as time goes on and it gets cooler i will try again in the morning.

GIE 10-08-2012 01:46 AM

I prefer the morning hunts. But is based on location.

troutman42 10-08-2012 02:36 AM

I prefer morning also, I've always seen more deer in the Am, but thats how our stands are setup