The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Trapping Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/26-trapping-forum/)
-   -   Earth Anchor experiences (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/26-trapping-forum/59358-earth-anchor-experiences.html)

Beaglador Rtrvr 09-25-2012 06:29 PM

Earth Anchor experiences

I started using 15 and 18" Duckbill type anchors last year with excellent results= besides the incredibly soft swampy areas there is no way a animal is going to get them out. I did get a few 12" anchors (I ordered 15" from Cocalamus and was told to measure the loop and I would get 15") anyway I can pull them out of my yard with a fair amount of effort which made me hesitant to use them for fox or yote. This weekend I pounded one into the ground attached a strap and had my 7 year old son pull as hard he could- there was no way he could get it out of moist clay soil (SE PA). Anyone else had experience with short earth anchors? I would like to use them for fox sets or maybe CRs.

Renny28 09-25-2012 07:50 PM

Re: Earth Anchor experiences

I use them and have no problems in my soil.

bobcat 09-25-2012 07:59 PM

if i question the soil i send a little chain down with it.

Denny Emery 09-25-2012 09:19 PM

Sounds like you are pulling straight up on them. Make sure you set them good by pulling it sideways. Now get down at fox height and pull sideways the way a fox would fight at the set. I doubt you will have any issues at all. I use 12" chain stakes with no problems.
Good luck!
Denny

miller17015 09-25-2012 10:09 PM

pulling straight up on them is like pulling fishing line straight out of the reel. just pound them in give a good tug to set the anchor and then try pulling them like a fox would level with the ground. they are very hard to move i test all my stuff out before using it my ex asked me one time why i was hanging from the garage rafters my response was i was test if the quick clips i bought were strong enough to hold a coon. i used them last year an had no probly other then when it started to flood really bad and i decided to pull my coon sets near the streeam and had to try to dig them out in the flooded stream bed, i ended up leaving most of them in and just reset them later as long as its not clay they should hold very well. word of cuation dont force them into slate ground you will need a pick to get them out.

TrapperRon2 09-26-2012 11:13 AM

The test here is for coyote pulling straight up. IMP if you can pull them by hand that is not good enough.

mauser06 09-26-2012 02:50 PM

Like Denny said, pull them straight up.and most times they come up...sometimes rather easily...pull them from an angle like a critter will be pulling and they typically arent going anywhere if set right and deep enough for the soil...

I havent had anything budge 1.5" pogo anchors...not saying it isnt possible..but itd be tough...i run short chains...a yote just cant get much vertical pull imo...they are pretty much stuck in place with a short chain..

I also use them on my cables...no bad experiences..

Ive had 1 yote catch in a foot hold fray the cable a fair bit...dont know if the cable was going bad or if there was a rock wearing on it or if the yote was chewing it...

Ive since gone to 8-10" of cable and 6" or so of chain so i dont have cable nubs sticking up and the cable is completely underground...and cable is lighter and cheaper than chain....

Jayden41 09-27-2012 09:13 PM

I use 12" of cable on super stakes with no trouble on yotes.I do trap in very rocky soil so don't know if that matters much.You must pull sideways to set them into postion before you start pulling up on them

Datkins 09-28-2012 01:05 PM

I have used my truck to pull anchors out of the ground, some times i can and sometimes the cable breaks.Leaving the bullet in the ground. Never had an animal take one out. I can use 12"ers just fine. Remember if you weigh 150 lbs and cant pull it straight up a 25-40 lb Yote with one foot in the trap pulling sidways is not going anywhere. Even one jumping 6-10 inch in the air will get tired pretty fast.