The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Sports (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/92-sports/)
-   -   Paterno memorial (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/92-sports/41839-paterno-memorial.html)

Squeaks 01-27-2012 10:20 PM

Phil Knight

I wish I could shake this guy's hand for how well he spoke at the memorial service. I realize I am just a little guy from Bellefonte and would never meet such a man with the money he has, but if I did I would gratefully shake his hand and pat him on his back.
If he did nothing else in his life, he did the best that moment in time for Joe and the rest of the world!
God bless you Phil for that!

BigBuckDown 01-28-2012 12:00 AM

Re: Phil Knight

I seen Knight's speech. Have to give the guy credit, he wanted to keep the image of "his hero" intact.

Joe made the comment when he was alive that he wish he had done more, but truth be told, he did put the issue in the hands of the university, just like Knight said.

Possum - why the angry face on Knight's speech?

PossumBackstrap 01-28-2012 01:09 AM

I've had the angry face for years, no relation to Knight.

PossumBackstrap 01-28-2012 01:10 AM

I thought Michael Mauti's speech was awesome too. Just a kid who loved Joe and loves football.

Squeaks 01-28-2012 01:20 AM

They were all great. I also believe that was Jay's speech 100%, if you noticed all the song/music references and know Jay he is the only person that could have blended those 2 so well.

Birch812 01-28-2012 01:59 AM

Not one of the eulogizers didn't sound sincere about their thoughts and feeling for Joe.

Jays speech impressed me, I always thought he was riding on Daddy's coat tails.
I thought Arrington would have been one of the speakers.
To win 409 games and have 250 of your players go on to the pros you can't argue the man knew football.

RonM 01-28-2012 06:23 PM

It was a great memorial, i liked Cefalo when he said Paterno told his mom , your spaghetti sauce is better than Mrs. Capaletti's....he knew then his mom had been recruited to PSU...........

TusseyMtMan 01-28-2012 10:38 PM

I have developed a new respect for Jay Paterno. Very intellegent and well spoken. I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.
I work in Jay's neighborhood all the time and have never even seen him. I did have a few words with Joe back in Late July. he was mentally and physically very sharp. That was before the practice collision that broke his pelvis, and of course the lung cancer.
RIP.

greenstang232 01-28-2012 11:20 PM

I too gained new respect for Jay Paterno. The whole memorial service was very well done.

My family and I made the trip up from Harrisburg today to pay our respects to JoePA. I am a 2010 graduate from PSU, and my sister will be graduating this spring. I had viewed the pictures of JoePA's statue online with all of the momentous people have left, but it just does not do it justice unless you see it in person. It was quite a scene, something I will surely not forget.

Coureur De Bois 01-28-2012 11:24 PM

I am a retiree from PSU. During my employment there I had both the pleasure and curse of being ,at times, around Joe.I had see him when he was joy to be with, and at times when I wanted to be as far away as possible, along with everything in between. As a football coach there was none equal, and from the eulogies that were give a very caring man, but he was a human being, not much different from you or me. I have stated that I felt he needed to retire, and take on the role as a mentor to his successor, I still feel this way, and wish it would of happened. He will be missed in the coming years, and I will always have good thoughts of him. I also will always have the team hat, unworn, from the 2006 season that he gave me the day I retired.
I too have developed a new respect for Jay Paterno, after his eulogy. I don't think anyone wrote it for him, too much was stated from the heart, as son would to a departed father.