The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Sports (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/92-sports/)
-   -   Paterno memorial (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/92-sports/41839-paterno-memorial.html)

PossumBackstrap 01-26-2012 10:51 PM

Paterno memorial

I had the privilege of attending. Simply stunning service. Luckily, there's one figure in all this that was in the position to speak the truth.

I'm Phil Knight, Chairman of Nike

Getinearly 01-26-2012 10:59 PM

Re: Paterno memorial

I just got done listening to that myself. Very heart-touching.

More people, especially some here on HPA, need to listen to that and pay attention.

Thanks for posting.

PossumBackstrap 01-26-2012 11:07 PM

I've been critical of all those involved including joe, but those who fired him did so without any thought, remorse or wisdom, and they are all still employed and alive. Joe is THE only one who took any ownership of the situation.

Phil Knight stepped up huge

Birch812 01-26-2012 11:16 PM

All the speakers were good, could you imagine if PSU had an athletic program like UNLV? DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Who wrote the the eulogy for Jay?

Washpa Randy 01-27-2012 12:08 AM

Had to laugh out loud when Cefalo spoke about Paterno sitting in his mother's kitchen and telling her that her pasta tasted better than Mrs. Cappeleti's.

PossumBackstrap 01-27-2012 12:16 AM

Jay's a much better speaker than coach, I have no doubt those were his words. Also, it's too bad that Jay's lone NFL QB was so good he made the pro-bowl as a RB. M-Rob is awesome anyway.

Phase47 01-27-2012 01:39 AM

I thought about JoePa as the only one taking responsibility for it a couple days after he was fired. Glad to see someone finally speak out the truth.

Bucket 01-27-2012 11:03 AM

It makes you realize that the people that actually KNEW Joe thought of him as a life teacher first, and a good coach second.

For the majority of us, he was just a coach that had a great career.

PossumBackstrap 01-27-2012 01:31 PM

From what I saw yesterday and all I've heard and known over the years, Joe had greater successes off the football field than on. Few people know of all the contributions he and Sue made. I'm not just talking about what we know of, the Paterno Library, the endowments, the yearly gifts. He was a man, he had flaws and he made mistakes, but he also advanced the cause of quality education and opportunity for all perhaps further than any one else.

kudu58 01-27-2012 05:57 PM

I watched the entire thing and am not ashamed to admit that I had tears in my eyes. I don't know how anyone could watch that and not be moved by it.

Someone said it on here very well the other day. "I have much more respect for Joe than I do for those who judged him without having all the facts." I do not have the facts on the Sandusky case, but it is clearly evident the impact that Joe had on a multitude of people. Few of us will have people from 5 different continents attend our funerals. And I doubt that they came just for something to do...RIP Joe.