The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Crossbow Hunting Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/62-crossbow-hunting-forum/)
-   -   Sims vs. Bowjax (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/62-crossbow-hunting-forum/39133-sims-vs-bowjax.html)

Bronzeback 12-29-2011 11:50 PM

Sims vs. Bowjax

Do either of these vibration/dampening kits actually work? If so, which one is better? How much do they effect speed? Is it a drastic drop in FPS?

arrowhead 12-30-2011 12:04 AM

Re: Sims vs. Bowjax

f.p.s. drop will usually, as a rule; be in the 10 f.p.s. range. They work to some degree. They will kill some of the vibration and the noise will be of shorter duration. It will be about as loud, just won't last as long.

Bowjax is one of the best I tested. The Sims foot stirrup dampners are excellent but you can't buy them seperate. Bowjax has a new dampner for 2012 for the split limb bows that should be really good.

dpms 12-30-2011 12:05 AM

I feel that they are worth it overall. I much prefer the BowJax crossbow silencing kit but leave the string leeches off. Consider mounting the limb silencers on the sides of the barrel. Won't rob speed and still reduces the vibration.

Bronzeback 12-30-2011 09:53 AM

Thank you. Do you hae an idea when the 2012 Bowjax kit will be available for purchase?

Not sure how to mount to the side of the barrel...Would I still use the kit for split-limb? I have a Horton TRT.

arrowhead 12-30-2011 12:20 PM

TRT ultra-lite or the older TRT? The old style TRT the bowjax will help more than on the Ultra-lite.

The ultra-lilte has the split limbs and you should be able to use the new Bowjax. They are made for a .7 inch gap. They should be available shortly after the ATA show the second week of January. You can also use the stick on type for the barrel.

The TRT ultra-lite is very hard to make much quieter. It's by far the loudest crossbow I have ever shot. I'm sure it has to do with it being so lightweight. Nice crossbow, but it will always be loud to some degree.

TBrom 12-30-2011 03:43 PM

I would recommend Bowjax as well. However, speaking from experience, they won't help at all on the TRT Ultra Lite. I tore the bow down, had it stuffed with foam and wrapped in rubber but nothing helped. If you're going to use that bow you have to live with the noise and vibration.

Bronzeback 12-30-2011 10:12 PM

I have the TRT Ultra-light. So what you guys are telling me is that I may as well save my money because nothing really works that well? I'm new to this whole crtossbow thing but have shot many deer with a compound. Does it make sense that whether the noise is low or high that the deer may still jump the string? I know crossbows are quick but not as quick as a deers reaction time to ANY UNFAMILIAR noise - whether it is a low or high noise. I've always aimed low (heart) with my compound and it seemed that if the deer did jump the string it would lower itself into the arrow for a lung shot. Is this consistent to what you guys are doing with a crossbow?

arrowhead 12-31-2011 12:58 AM

There really is no such thing as a quiet crossbow. The Vision 175 is probably the least noisy of all of them. There will be two models this year that are based on that design. (at least that is what I'm hearing)

Yes, Bronzeback you got. No matter what anyone tells you, it's still bowhunting. I like to shoot from close range and the closer the better.

Bronzeback 12-31-2011 11:09 AM

I guess I'm just trying to get it all straight in my head. I'm thinking that a little uncommon noise to a deer is the same as a slightly larger uncommon noise so why go through the process of trying to make a crossbow slightly more quiet? I can remember several occasions where I shot a deer with a rifle and had the other deer simply stand there. Many of these deer were adults too. Shooting at calm deer makes somewhat of a difference too although they still jump string sometimes. I guess the answer is pretty much the same as hunting with a regular compound bow...Keep the shots low/mid heart and get the animal as close as possible. What range is maximum for you guys? I've read everyhting from 20 - 60? Still, probably the same as a regular compound....Whatever you're comfortable with??? Any thoughts???

cspot 12-31-2011 12:35 PM

The range of a crossbow is the same as a compound. For me my range is 30 yards with an absolute max of 40. For me to shoot 40 the deer must be perfectly positioned and not be on alert at all. I must also have a good rest or be in a comfortable position where I can hold extremly steady. The other variable is I must be sure that the deer won't come any closer. In practice I shoot out to 50 yards and can shoot it quite well enough to kill any deer at that range, but there is too much that can happen in the time that the arrow leaves the bow until it gets to the deer and it usually isn't good.