The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Trapping Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/26-trapping-forum/)
-   -   mink sets (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/26-trapping-forum/32107-mink-sets.html)

quadsport09 10-19-2011 12:10 PM

mink sets

I know mink doesnt start for awhile and im assuming now is the time to pre set some mink locations i found. anyonehave any pictures of cubbies they built? i've never mink trapped before and i was told to go out before the season and set some stuff up but i dont know much about what to build

OldMink 10-19-2011 12:52 PM

Re: mink sets

In all my years of trapping I have never pre-set, whatever that covers, any mink sets, nor have I ever used cubbies for mink.

I have always been predominately a blind setter and as such once I hit the water a glance up and down stream usually tells me where the mink can be caught. It's just a sense you develop once you've chased mink long enough and learn first hand their habits.

Good luck!

Wild Trout 24/7 10-19-2011 07:02 PM

Instead of making a cubby just set a piece of black sweage pipe 3 or 4 feet long cover the top with some rocks to hold it down. Set a foot hold on each end or you can block an end off. Works good when the weather can turn bad because you can put your trap inside the pipe instead of exposing it to snow or ice. Mink love to go under tree roots and through pipes like this.

Bowtech Mike 10-20-2011 01:34 AM

I like that pipe set mink man. Going to give it a shot this season.

trapper tim 10-20-2011 11:08 AM

I have used the pipe set with a 110 on both sides and have done well. I like using this method under bridges along the walls.

quadsport09 10-20-2011 12:25 PM

should i put that pipe out now so the mink could get used to it? or just set that when i put the traps out in november?

Wild Trout 24/7 10-20-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadsport09
should i put that pipe out now so the mink could get used to it? or just set that when i put the traps out in november?

The mink dont need to get used to it. Its prob.. bettter if you dont put it out until the first day of the season may add as an attractor... something they never have seen there before. Hope this helps good luck catching your first mink! Remember a mink may only pass by an area once a week so dont get discouraged if he's giving you a hard time. Just keep those sets out long enough and you will catch one.

quadsport09 10-20-2011 01:20 PM

okay thanks ! and what size pipe? 6"?

Wild Trout 24/7 10-20-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadsport09
okay thanks ! and what size pipe? 6"?

6" will work just fine... make sure u block the sides off a little if your gonna use 6" that way the mink dosent end up going over or around your trap.

quadsport09 10-20-2011 01:31 PM

is bigger pipe better then? i have all sizes we just redid the piping for our pond