The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Muzzleloader Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/24-muzzleloader-forum/)
-   -   Guess I won't be hunting this spot again (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/24-muzzleloader-forum/32084-guess-i-wont-hunting-spot-again.html)

egward 10-19-2011 01:28 AM

Guess I won't be hunting this spot again

Headed over to Nockamixon State Park (5C) after work today with the inline. Not more than 10 minutes after getting settled in my favorite spot I hear rustling and see some moving quickly maybe 50 yards off. Deer? Nope. Mountainbikers! First one, then another and then another. All totaled 6 of 'em. Seems the new mountain bike trail they laid out goes right thru prime hunting territory. Mad? A little but it's a State Park and we all have to share. Still, you'd think the park officials would have posted signs up saying "Caution, Area Open too Hunting". They do in other parks of the park. Think I'll make phone call tomorrow.

bwhntr 10-19-2011 02:31 AM

Re: Guess I won't be hunting this spot again

I wouldnt let that stop me from hunting there. Ive hunted a spot quite a few times in the past that is the same way and seen deer walk the same trail bikes and people walked down ten minutes before. maybe not right away but in days months years to come, they will become used to it.

egward 10-19-2011 10:27 AM

True.

wis bang 10-19-2011 12:45 PM

I used to ride in a park and when I decided to turn around instead of going thru the muddiest swampy spot, I would always see the deer that I disturbed on my way in...happened alot. Use them to your advantage!

Born2Hunt 10-19-2011 06:16 PM

I wouldn't worry much about the mountain biker. They make good trails to stalk quietly and good excess to any from hunting locations.

I hunt some areas that good a good deal of ATV traffic, The deer seem to learn to handle normal passers by just like they do the highway.

I witness 2 eight pointers traveling together and feeding on acorns on a trail then stop and walk into the cover while the traffic passed and walked back out on the trail within minutes to feed like nothing happened.

tomcat 10-19-2011 07:45 PM

Use them to your advantage, I hunt county parks they could be an asset and they may never know. Good luck.

HammerDown15 10-19-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egward
Still, you'd think the park officials would have posted signs up saying "Caution, Area Open too Hunting". They do in other parks of the park. Think I'll make phone call tomorrow.

do you really think mtn bikers or hikers would pay any mind to a sign?

great white hunter 10-19-2011 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ROMAC 10-25-2011 12:32 PM

The game commission should charge them for a license to ride on state game lands. Pretty soon they will think they own the place and be organizing "ride for the cure" of the disease du jour during hunting season.

CJBS2003 10-25-2011 04:36 PM

If they pay a fee, then they really will think they are entitled...