The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Archery Hunting Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/25-archery-hunting-forum/)
-   -   BroadHead Debate (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/25-archery-hunting-forum/302887-broadhead-debate.html)

TBrom 12-09-2019 01:51 PM

BroadHead Debate

1 Attachment(s)
2020 is my quest for the ultimate broadhead. I'm looking for a head (style) that will fly and perform the best from 200 FPS to 450 FPS. I'm working with a broadhead and bow manufacturer on this project as well. I've already begun some initial testing and have formed some opinions. I've also secured 4 front shoulders from mature bucks to use for penetration testing when I get to that point. Anyone who's followed my ramblings knows I'm a strong proponent of expandable blade broadheads when shot at speeds in excess of 350 FPS, but initial testing has me leaning towards a fixed blade style head as the best "all around" performing head when tested under various conditions. Further testing may or may not substantiate these early trends. I'm looking for hunter feedback on what has & hasn't worked the best for you. Thanks!

dce 12-09-2019 02:02 PM

I've killed and been directing on hand when several hundred deer have been killed by every type of BH imaginable.I've also been on probably twice that many blood trails shot in every part of the anatomy with every type of BH.If you shoot a tuned bow and there's no excuse not to,there's no advantage to a mechanical.Penetration trumps cutting diameter every time and durability is a close second,which always goes to a fixed head.Marketing and misinformation sells mechanicals.

rcshank85 12-09-2019 02:08 PM

Magnus Black Hornet Ser Razor 100 gr. has been great from my 375 FPS Xbow. Always fly straight and they leave one heck of blood trail (as would most all broadheads on good shots). You can replace the blades if needed. I also spin test all my broadheads on each arrow and correct the broadhead as needed. Much easier to do on these unlike a G5 Montec where the blades are fixed and if bent you're SOL. They also have a lifetime warranty and I have sent back some of their stinger broadheads I use on my traditional bow when they get a little veshnickered (beyond my sharpening ability on something important).

I didn't like the shwackers I tried this year. The "o-ring sleeve?" that holds the blades shut seemed to flimsy to me for a higher powered Xbow and I have read some on bowsite how others would put shrink tubing on the shaft instead but I feel you shouldn't have to do that when you pay over $30 for 3 broadheads. Just my $0.02!

Good luck and report back whenever that may be!

Johnnyb1815 12-09-2019 02:09 PM

Zwickey eskimoes have always worked very well for me, though my arrows don’t reach 200fps. This is a very interesting experiment to me though, look forward to your results. Are you planning on trying any of the broadheads that are mostly used by trad archers?(zwickeys, razor heads, maybe a wensel woodsman)

loridr 12-09-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcshank85 (Post 3678871)
...veshnickered...

:grin2: Little Dutch, ain't? :grin2:

elk yinzer 12-09-2019 02:27 PM

Assuming a tuned arrow, substantially anything on the market does well on a broadside double lung shot. A lot of the debate surrounding broadheads is pure stupidity, and trying to crown an "ultimate broadhead" is an impossible exercise in tomfoolery.

I think broadhead design ultimately breaks down into two categories, based on desired performance on subpar shots. The middle ground tries to balance out both.

1) Gut shots - naturally a larger cutting diameter while maintaining reasonable penetration. Due to flight characteristics, these tend to be mechanicals.

2) Penetrate bone - smaller cutting diameter, more robust design to maximize penetration. This rules out flimsy stamped blades.

I prefer approach #2, but I can see the other side of the coin too. I have a mental block against mechanicals, I just don't trust them. If I was all in on #2, I would use single bevel two blades, but I hedge somewhat and use three blades. For the past several years I've been using VPA 3 blades, and I've really been impressed with the penetration and durability.

bpottorff 12-09-2019 02:31 PM

I have always used fixed head, mostly muzzys now, and last year shot one with a ram cat. With the muzzys, I have always had a pass thru even when hitting shoulder bones. I do not get those extreme blood trails, but if you hit them right, you should find them. I shoot each arrow and hand sharpen each head, and spin test. I can usually reuse my broad heads after a kill, just resharpen and spin to make sure they are not bent. I hear of some great blood trails with mechanicals, but have helped track some shot with mechanicals and saw a normal blood trail. I guess either will work on the perfect shot, but when something is not quite right, like a bone gets in the path of the broadhead I think I would rather have a good fixed head. If I knew every shot would be a perfect behind the shoulder shot, I would give those wide cutting mechanicals a try. Different skill levels can also be a big factor. There are guys out there that will take almost any shot, no matter how the deer is standing.

RacksnQuacks 12-09-2019 02:46 PM

G5 Striker. Flies just like my field points when set up right.

I killed my buck this year with my cousin's crossbow. Swhacker broadheads. Like rcshank85, I also wasn't a fan of the O-rings but that is what he had and used. I can't argue with the results.

Steeltrap 12-09-2019 03:00 PM

I've always used Muzzy 100gr and they have always worked for me. However, I've read some post where should the aluminum Muzzy strike bone, they will break apart and not penetrate. The solution was these "VPA's" as they are all steel. I've never tried 'em but these could be worth a look. https://vparchery.com/product-category/three-blade/

MathewsMan85 12-09-2019 03:01 PM

Very interested in following this. Is the picture you listed all of the broadheads you’re going to test?