The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Big Game Hunting Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/21-big-game-hunting-forum/)
-   -   Department of Agriculture (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/21-big-game-hunting-forum/302787-department-agriculture.html)

TBrom 12-07-2019 12:52 PM

Department of Agriculture

Just received a letter in the mail today from the Department of Agriculture offering advice to PA hunters on how to protect against CWD. Anyone else receive one? Two paragraphs that stood out to me...

"Do not shoot, handle or eat meat from wild deer or elk that look sick, are acting strangely or are found dead. However, keep in mind most CWD infected deer do not look or act sick." That was helpful. Why don't they want sick deer shot? :smiley-confused005:

"At this time, current published scientific studies support the hypothesis that there is a strong species barrier protecting humans from CWD," said Agricultural Secretary Russell Redding.

Woodland Warrior 12-07-2019 02:02 PM

So in other words you could be handling a sick deer and not know it! Scary stuff!

Woods walker 12-07-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBrom (Post 3676921)
Just received a letter in the mail today from the Department of Agriculture offering advice to PA hunters on how to protect against CWD. Anyone else receive one? Two paragraphs that stood out to me...

"Do not shoot, handle or eat meat from wild deer or elk that look sick, are acting strangely or are found dead. However, keep in mind most CWD infected deer do not look or act sick." That was helpful. Why don't they want sick deer shot? :smiley-confused005:

"At this time, current published scientific studies support the hypothesis that there is a strong species barrier protecting humans from CWD," said Agricultural Secretary Russell Redding.

That hypothesis is what you call a WAG. Prions mutate and cross species barriers. The worst thing that could have happened with CWD since it popped up in PA has happened, the mental midgets in the general assembly and the worthless governor putting the Dept of Ag in charge of pen raised Cervids.

TBrom 12-08-2019 09:49 AM

I was surprised to get the letter. Can't believe I'm the only person here to receive one. They had to get my information from the Game Commission to know that I'm a hunter. I've never had any dealings with the Department of Ag.

Pack4 12-08-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

That line there seems a bit irresponsible doesn't it? I don't know. Just doesn't sit well with me.

Woods walker 12-08-2019 10:41 AM

There is little about the PA Dept of Ag that could be called responsible! I agree with your statement.

rtkbowhunter 12-08-2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

From the Dept of Agriculture? How to protect against CWD? Hey Dept of Agriculture.... SHUT DOWN THE DEER FARMS!!! NOW!!!!!

Every case of CWD in PA, every case, has been traced back to deer farms, which the Dept of Agriculture has over-site. Apparently it's not that big a deal...

Pointing Lab 12-09-2019 08:19 AM

I also got the letter but it was because I donated a deer to sharing the harvest program

westernwishes1 12-09-2019 05:26 PM

The dept of ag will take cwd seriously when it gets into the domestic herd like sheep or hogs or steers .Then it will be a threat to their money .

Woods walker 12-09-2019 05:39 PM

The dept of ag should change it's name to the dept of we don't care!