The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

HPA Rabbit Hunt

78K views 224 replies 31 participants last post by  HuntPhilipsburg 
#1 ·
I've been hearing from some guys on the board and it seems there is some interest in doing another hunt this year.

Maybe it's time to start putting the plan together and see how many guys would be interested in it again.

#6 ·
Last year it was just north of state college. Not sure if we will have it in the same spot. That will probably be if Andy wants to host again. It was a beautiful area to take a large group.

#7 ·
I think the time of year would almost have to be in January again, there is too much other stuff going on earlier in the year. With archery, rifle deer and bear it doesn't leave a lot of time for rabbit hunting.

As for the location, we can be open for ideas. Andy's spot was great last year, but we don't want to ruin anyone's spot by using it over and over.

Does anyone know a spot around the middle of the state that could possibly hold 3 or 4 groups of hunters?

#11 ·
I am new at this stuff. Is anyone welcome? I grew up rabbit hunting with my grandfather and since he has passed I have had 2 ok beagles. Haven't had any since my son was born though. He is 12 now and loves hunting anything but has never gotten the chance to hunt with beagles and I would love to give him the experience. It would be for him not me. I would just stay with him.

#13 ·
Of course I am in!! There has been a lot of logging and marcellus activity in my area. There appears to be alot more rabbitat out there than last year. I have not been able to run it due to rattlesnakes, but I will be getting out there soon. If the rabbit population is as good as it has been (I suspect it's better than ever) we will be able to hold it up here again.

#17 ·
I'm in again . Last yr. we had 25 people wanting to attend and 15 actually showed up. 18 dogs total for 3 groups of hunters. If Andy is OK with using the same area that would be nice. It was loaded with rabbits even in jan. when most spots get tough to find them. If someone has another area large enough to run 3 or 4 groups with a good rabbit pop., post it up. The only area I know of here in SE PA is the blue marsh gamelands. There's plenty of room but not near the rabbits that Andys spot has. Also; maybe the 2 weeks between the end of deer season and the new yr. would be a little warmer ? I think it was around 15 degrees last yr..Plenty of time to work out the details till then.

#18 ·
Yeah Duke that time might work also. One problem then is alot of people are getting ready for Christmas.

Last year I was surprised at how many people actually showed up especially with the weather. The roads were horrible that morning. I think my wife said something when I came home about risking my life driving in a blizzard half way across the state to hunt with people I barely know to chase an animal I can find 50 yards from my house. Needless to say that she just doesn't understand.

#19 ·
intensity247 said:
I am new at this stuff. Is anyone welcome? I grew up rabbit hunting with my grandfather and since he has passed I have had 2 ok beagles. Haven't had any since my son was born though. He is 12 now and loves hunting anything but has never gotten the chance to hunt with beagles and I would love to give him the experience. It would be for him not me. I would just stay with him.
We had several people last year that it was their first rabbit hunt with beagles. It would be a good time for your son.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.