The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Royal Pain on the Turkey this Spring

892 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  fall gobbler 
#1 ·
Hey Guys! Its been a while, but I'm still around and I made it back out of Mexico with my Goulds turkey and a ton of amazing memories- in case you were wondering.

My season started off with my little cousin on youth day. We were sitting in the blind and I got sick and had to leave early. I told him I would take him out on the 1st day of the season to make up for it, and he ended up shooting 1 of the 4 jakes and a longbeard that came to the decoys. Not sure why he didn't shoot the longbeard, but he got his first bird and I was happy for him.

On Monday (The 2nd day), I went out with the bow and after a little bit of calling I had this guy come in and take a Rage Hypodermic.

I was supposed to leave for Mexico May 28th-June 2nd... but the outfitter had a few guys postpone their hunts so I moved up the dates and hunted May 6-12. I wanted to get there early and I ended up sharing camp with 3 guys, 2 of which were bowhunters as well. 4 of us hunted 5 hours total and killed 6 birds. I only wanted to take 1 to accomplish my Royal Slam and I did so on the 1st morning at 7:50am. The birds we were roosted on flew down and skirted our position and went behind us. So I got out of the blind for a bit of "Bow and Go" action and ended up having this bird gobble 40 yards in front of me coming off the mountain to a water hole in the dry creek bed. He took an arrow at 22 yards and my Royal Slam was achieved!

I made it back home on Monday, and due to Jet Lag and being tired from the long trip, I didn't make it back out into the woods until Wednesday- but the hunt only lasted 50 minutes and I put PA Gobbler #2 on the ground to end my season.

See less See more
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.