The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Saturday opener was approved

23K views 332 replies 90 participants last post by  triggercreep 
#1 ·
They voted to change to Saturday opener. Its official

#50 ·
AMEN Loggy!! The next step to benefit us is the PGC given the authority to open Sunday hunting. The skies will not fall. As long as the biologists say it will be good for the resource then there is no reason to oppose it ouside of outdated traditions that not all of us adhere to. This may have a negative impact on our business for 1 day per year. We'll make up for it on Sunday. I'm not worried, we'll be fine.

#12 ·
It will be a bigger issue for deer due to the fact that is jammed right up against a holiday.

A lot of the camps around here hunt Saturday only for bear then leave. Which, suits me fine, but it has had the opposite effect of what they wanted IMO

#15 ·
Really unaffected by it. Openers for fishing and hunting have been pretty anticlimactic for me for years. I prefer the days following openers because the crowds have dissipated by then. Happy for those who will benifit from it and sort of feel bad for the guys who it will effect negatively.
As far as the rifle opener goes I use to have a great deal of anticipation leading up to it but then reality would always set in after the first few hours of daylight when that giant buck I was dreaming about didn’t appear and other hunters started walking in on me.

#19 ·
just wondering how much money the game commission will lose because of out of state hunters. they may not come to hunt in Pa. because the Saturday opener will cut down on their traveling time. also wondering if the school systems in Pa. will open schools on Mondays as the first day will now be on Saturdays. i guess we will have to wait and see.

#20 ·
I know around here that's tied into union contracts. I suspect districts won't be too hurried to change that. Probably just keep it as part of "Thanksgiving break" as it is now.

#35 ·
they swallowed a fly....then swallowed a spider to catch the fly...then a bird to catch the spider.....and then a cat to catch the bird ....and so on.

This process has been underway for some time. None of it will save the agency.

As the process moves forward......"we ain't seen nothing yet".

#32 ·
Boo Hoo, I"m not going to go to my camp now because of a Saturday opener." If you choose that, that's your own fault. No where does it say in the regulations you cannot take Monday off as you did for the last 55 years and have the same tradition you always had. It does not say you have to hunt Saturday. Anyone who complains about it being Saturday instead of Monday all made your own decision to let the change affect you. It does not have to, that's your own prerogative. I'll still be butchering pigs on Saturday and going hunting Monday like nothing happened. Absolutely great for the guys that it helps out on Saturday for sure! Going in the right direction PAGC!

#40 ·
Know quite a few friends with kids in college who will now go to camp Friday hunt deer all day Saturday head back to college Sunday. Many have finals that week and no way they were cutting examS. A BIG plus!!!! In addition, even those local college kids(commuters) can now hunt locally on Saturday!!! Wish this woulda been in effect many moons ago when I was in college. It ripped me big time to miss Opening Day Deer Season 4 years in a row.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.