The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Boat, Canoe and Kayak Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/84-boat-canoe-kayak-forum/)
-   -   First fishing kayak (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/84-boat-canoe-kayak-forum/290949-first-fishing-kayak.html)

seekeroftyngmat 04-02-2019 09:26 PM

First fishing kayak
 
1 Attachment(s)
Got got my first fishing kayak and can't wait to get fishing in it. What I've done so far is I got a flyrod holder and laid a thick rubber mat down for stealth. I'm going to get an anchor wizard for it but im not sure what location on the yak to put it. If anyone has suggestions on that matter I'd like to hear about it and you reasoning behind it. I'd appreciate it.

Fishing Pole 04-22-2019 02:06 PM

What kind of kayak is that?

seekeroftyngmat 04-23-2019 06:11 PM

It's a shadow caster from Field and stream.

Laylow 04-23-2019 10:23 PM

Thats sweet

seekeroftyngmat 04-24-2019 07:02 AM

Thanks man...:)

redlinehuntr10 06-11-2019 06:29 AM

I am looking into getting my first kayak also. I don't have a very large budget which makes it tough researching different models. I'm 6' and about 235lbs, I was looking for something in the 10' range with a weight capacity 275lbs - 300+lbs. So far i looked at the Lifetime Tamarack and Sun Dolphin, the weight capacity on the Sun Dolphin is only 250lbs, and the Lifetime is 275lbs.

Loggy 06-11-2019 07:50 AM

Nice lookin yak there seekeroftyngmat!!

I have an Ocean Malibu XL2 Angler. It's around 13' and weighs 61 lbs. It's a tandem & can be paddled solo or tandem. I mainly use solo but like the feature of taking an xtra person by just moving seat. Has a weight capacity of 450-500 lbs. I mainly used for crabbing. Very stable in any freshwater application plus handles bay chop very well. Going on it's 9th year & love it! I see Ocean Kayak is still manufacturing the Malibu XL2.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...249894/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...250846/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...251217/enhance

seekeroftyngmat 07-08-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loggy (Post 3561341)
Nice lookin yak there seekeroftyngmat!!

I have an Ocean Malibu XL2 Angler. It's around 13' and weighs 61 lbs. It's a tandem & can be paddled solo or tandem. I mainly use solo but like the feature of taking an xtra person by just moving seat. Has a weight capacity of 450-500 lbs. I mainly used for crabbing. Very stable in any freshwater application plus handles bay chop very well. Going on it's 9th year & love it! I see Ocean Kayak is still manufacturing the Malibu XL2.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...249894/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...250846/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...251217/enhance

its cool that you crab out of it!

seekeroftyngmat 07-08-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlinehuntr10 (Post 3561311)
I am looking into getting my first kayak also. I don't have a very large budget which makes it tough researching different models. I'm 6' and about 235lbs, I was looking for something in the 10' range with a weight capacity 275lbs - 300+lbs. So far i looked at the Lifetime Tamarack and Sun Dolphin, the weight capacity on the Sun Dolphin is only 250lbs, and the Lifetime is 275lbs.

the kayak that I have has capacity of 450lbs and I think the leg room will be good for you as well. look at Dicks sporting goods

BMAN 09-30-2019 09:31 AM

I bought a Pelican Catch 10 I really like. I am 6'1 280lbs

Hunter8319 09-30-2019 10:27 AM

Looks great. Will you be using it in streams or lakes? How much does that weigh?

Danesdad 09-30-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlinehuntr10 (Post 3561311)
I am looking into getting my first kayak also. I don't have a very large budget which makes it tough researching different models. I'm 6' and about 235lbs, I was looking for something in the 10' range with a weight capacity 275lbs - 300+lbs. So far i looked at the Lifetime Tamarack and Sun Dolphin, the weight capacity on the Sun Dolphin is only 250lbs, and the Lifetime is 275lbs.

I have the Lifetime Tamarack. I've only fished out of it once. I'm six feet and 220 and it works for me. It's a good basic kayak for fishing.

seekeroftyngmat 10-04-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter8319 (Post 3622179)
Looks great. Will you be using it in streams or lakes? How much does that weigh?

Thanks Hunter, it weighs 97lbs. 90% percent of the time it'll be lakes. Simply because it takes two people/vehicles to fish streams/rivers.

NorthernPotterCo 10-04-2019 08:37 PM

looks like it`s a well built kayak. hope it works well for you and good luck fishing in it

seekeroftyngmat 10-05-2019 11:20 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernPotterCo (Post 3625161)
looks like it`s a well built kayak. hope it works well for you and good luck fishing in it

Thanks npc, I'm having an absolute blast in it. Here are some other things I've done with it. This is a drag chain anchor, if you're not familiar with it here's the skinny on it. In a river/creek this will drag along the bed and slow you to the current speed and allow time for another cast or two to those sweet spots. With this you can also adjust faster or slower depending on how much line you have out. I've used this system on the Susquehanna with great success. I made mine out of 1' sections of 3/8" chain that I slid into a bicycle tire tube zip stripped on. (that was an interesting experience) You can adjust this anchor system by adding or removing sections accordingly. This also keeps you tracking straight while floating downstream, a huge plus.

This is an anchor trolly system, with this you can change anchor points depending on wind direction and keep you facing the way for best casting. you can go from a rear anchor point to the front and anywhere in between in seconds and you do not have to move to do it.

I chose a 6lb. down rigger ball for my anchor. For line storage/retrieval I bought a divers reel, I use this for Stillwater fishing. It doesn't catch or tangle on anything on the bottom yet holds position very well. The floats are for in case I need to disengage the anchor for what ever reason and still be able to get it back.

For gear storage I went to Weis and got two milk crates. I wanted to maximize the space so I cut one down and zip stripped it to the other the width of the kayak floor behind the seat. I used a piece of black plastic ribbed flexible pipe to hold the sections of chain. This gives easy access and prevents them from getting buried. This has worked out very well.

Also, so I don't end up ---- creek without a paddle:grin2: I have a paddle bungee.

On the front hatch I have a GoPro mount installed along with a dummy cord attatchment (the smaller cordage from inside parachute cord) so I don't end up crying in the middle of a lake somewhere in PA. :crying:

I have had the best time with this kayak and look forward to next year where I'll be making it a point of bothering as many trout as possible in as many lakes as possible...

seekeroftyngmat 01-14-2020 07:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more editions to the yak. Christmas was good...:)

Loggy 01-15-2020 08:17 AM

Looks great!! You look to be ready for the fast approaching fishing season!!:smile2:

barrike 01-15-2020 09:05 AM

I like the drag chain anchor. That's a great idea!

seekeroftyngmat 01-15-2020 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loggy (Post 3709615)
Looks great!! You look to be ready for the fast approaching fishing season!!:smile2:

Thanks! I'm working on it...>:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrike (Post 3709663)
I like the drag chain anchor. That's a great idea!

Bar, if you've not tried one of those in a river you are in for a real treat. I couldn't believe how well it works, you have complete control over your drift speed and you track like an arrow floating downstream. It made floating the Susquehanna a breeze! I highly recommend making and trying one out.

seekeroftyngmat 01-21-2020 08:17 PM

The four rods pictured above in the yak are two bait casters and two spinning rigs. Nothing makes you feel better than having the equipment you used in your 20's brought back into service after a 30+ year hiatus called "vintage" gear. Had to strip the bait casting reels down to clean them,(wouldn't flip worth a dang) gears and all and during this lost track of the order of a few of the more important pieces. While looking it up I discovered that little piece of info...:)

loridr 01-21-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekeroftyngmat (Post 3714027)
The four rods pictured above in the yak are two bait casters and two spinning rigs. Nothing makes you feel better than having the equipment you used in your 20's brought back into service after a 30+ year hiatus called "vintage" gear. Had to strip the bait casting reels down to clean them,(wouldn't flip worth a dang) gears and all and during this lost track of the order of a few of the more important pieces. While looking it up I discovered that little piece of info...:)


Hey, who needs all those springs and screws n stuff anyway? :grin2:

NorthernPotterCo 01-21-2020 09:11 PM

your set up looks nice and looks really well stocked for fishing season. and looks like you made out at Christmas. you must have been real good last year.:grin2:

seekeroftyngmat 01-22-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loridr (Post 3714081)
Hey, who needs all those springs and screws n stuff anyway? :grin2:

Thats right!:rotfl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernPotterCo (Post 3714085)
your set up looks nice and looks really well stocked for fishing season. and looks like you made out at Christmas. you must have been real good last year.:grin2:

Thanks a lot, I'm really looking forward to using this stuff after all this time. It's all about what they don't know...>:)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome