The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Big Game Hunting Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/21-big-game-hunting-forum/)
-   -   I'm coming to hate the process (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/21-big-game-hunting-forum/275909-im-coming-hate-process.html)

Danesdad 06-28-2018 09:59 AM

I'm coming to hate the process

Well, it's that time of year again. Hurry up and buy your hunting license, so you can rush those antlerless applications in to have a chance of getting a tag. It seems like it's earlier every year. It's turning into a hassle because it's usually at least another month before I'd be thinking about hunting. Why cant they just have a drawing for every WMU on a set date and you apply for a doe license when you buy your general license? In this day and age of computers, why are we still mailing in forms filled out by hand? This state is so backwards in so many ways.

Born2Hunt 06-28-2018 10:50 AM

Keeps the USPS in business.

1stlight 06-28-2018 11:01 AM

What Rush??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danesdad (Post 3310125)
Well, it's that time of year again. Hurry up and buy your hunting license, so you can rush those antlerless applications in to have a chance of getting a tag. It seems like it's earlier every year.

New licenses have been available in mid-June for some time now, which gives everyone ample time for the July 9th antlerless mailing. And I don't know of any WMU selling out in the first resident round (July 9).

I do agree that the "pink envelope" process has run it's course and should fade away but that's up the PA legislature not the PGC. :smile2:

kudu58 06-28-2018 11:53 AM

I don't think the process is all that bad. In fact it's pretty easy.

What I hate are all the threads of people complaining about it. Same threads.....every year....

Cscott1 06-28-2018 12:06 PM

The process is too bad unless you’re a procrastinator like me and end up at Wally World the Saturday before doe license day, in line with 50 other guys who weren’t smart enough to go in earlier!

However, it would be nice to be able to just buy your first antlerless tag over the counter when buying your license. Not too many wmu’s sell out the first round so I see no problem in selling them otc. The mail in isn’t a lottery anymore so either way it’s first come first serve. It would move the rush from the last day before “antlerless day” to the first day of on sale.

Tony300wby 06-28-2018 12:26 PM

IMO the whole process is very fair and very simple. And most importantly; gives the PGC the ability to manage the deer population in the state. I see no reason to change.

The PGC determines the antlerless allocations based on data collected in a WMU. They inform its license holders how many antlerless licenses in each WMU will be allotted. They inform the license holders of the dates when the antlerless licenses can be applied for. They supply a simple to fill out form and envelope for those wanting to apply for a antlerless license. The antlerless application has options for multiple WMU's in case the original one chosen is sold out. They give updated numbers of how many antlerless licenses have been sold and how many are still available for every WMU. They give multiple options of where the antlerless application can be mailed for processing. They give the license holder a way to check online if they had been awarded a antlerless license. They give license holders the option of buying bonus antlerless licences.

Good luck, Tony

EIGHT POINT 06-28-2018 12:46 PM

I thought you were talking about the Philadelphia 76 er's.....

Potter Co. Joe 06-28-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kudu58 (Post 3310171)
I don't think the process is all that bad. In fact it's pretty easy.

What I hate are all the threads of people complaining about it. Same threads.....every year....

Ya have to admit it is somewhat Anal and wouldn't be that hard to change.
It's not Rocket Science applying for the tag, but for myself for over 40 years of sending in these applications
I can't tell you how many times after I mailed it in I was saying to myself did you remember to do this
or remember to do that.
I'm sure many out there have had these same thoughts.
Beyond that then you have the problems with the Treasurers with some counties being understaffed and errors on their behalf.
Myself I've never had a problem but many people have had problems from Glitches in the system.
So we can't keep saying it's the dumb hunter or whiner who doesn't like the system.
It's a Dinosaur in a modern world. :smile2:

CMP70306 06-28-2018 02:40 PM

The reason is that it is easier to deal with several hundred thousand envelopes at 9am on July 9th than it is to deal with that many impatient people trying to get their license first to make surr they get a doe tag. The way they do it now gives everyone a 3 week window to get their liscenses then send for the tag eliminating the need to deal with the general public crowding license sales locations all at once.

simoncool 06-28-2018 04:20 PM

Doe tag season....another tradition I hope lives on forever!