The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Habitat Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/41-habitat-forum/)
-   -   Future Plot..maybe? (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/41-habitat-forum/275723-future-plot-maybe.html)

fishin coyote 06-23-2018 12:07 AM

Future Plot..maybe?

2 Attachment(s)
I bought this property a year and half ago. It has an old abandoned gas line running down it. The line runs north south and is either covered in trees or had 5-6 foot high MF rose growing on it as the main floral.
Last summer I took my brush cutter to the MF and created clear path down about 200 yds or so. It grew back up in some assorted forbs and grasses. Seems the local deer and turkeys appreciated it according to the cams.
Due to other more pressing projects I’m only able to mow it again this year. I’d like to do something more with it next year so my question would be, What would you do? Clover, some sort of mix, etc.
I’m open to suggestions. The only thing I won’t do is spray it.
Here is the view 1st picture is looking south 2nd one is looking north

Majik Man 06-23-2018 12:13 AM

Alfalfa that beotch…. I know that every alfalfa field in this area is hit hard the entire year round.... maybe an alfalfa and clover mix?

down2hunt1987 06-23-2018 09:53 AM

Imperial whitetail clover and some turnips.. you'll have your self a heck of a honey hole

RGrizzzz 06-23-2018 02:40 PM

Looks like you might want to trim the trees to allow more light in, regardless of what you plant.

troutbert 06-23-2018 04:44 PM

What sort of brushcutter did you use to cut down multi-flora rose?

OAWC 06-23-2018 04:53 PM

As RGrizzz said, you are going to struggle with not enough sunlight. What do you have around this potential plot?

A soil test is probably a good idea once the canopy is opened up.

RonM 06-23-2018 06:38 PM

Can you get a disc in there, cut back some of the over hanging branches, then seed in some turnips and clover at the end of July...throw aa little rape in the mix, it's cheap..Next year the clover should go it alone..

fishin coyote 06-23-2018 10:06 PM

troutbert, The machine is a DR field and brush mower.

I was planning on cutting back most of the over hanging branches except for the closest one on the left in the 2nd pic. It’s a very active licking branch that they use all year. There also a small seasonal pond between the 2 more open spots.
The surrounding area is mainly wooded consisting of your typical oak and maple upland habitat. There are agricultural fields to the west about 1/2 mile.
If it ever dries out this summer I’ll try to get it disked or rototilled this season and get the soil tested although I know for a fact the ph is low.

Thanks for the ideas so far.
Mike

joe8768 06-24-2018 05:42 PM

I am curious why you don't want to spray to kill everything off

troutbert 06-24-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishin coyote (Post 3308233)
troutbert, The machine is a DR field and brush mower.

Thanks. I never heard of those. I checked some YouTube videos and they chew up brush very impressively.