The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Lyman flintlocks

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  burghwolfe 
#1 ·
I started hunting the late flintlock season a couple of years ago with a borrowed Lyman great plains rifle. I figure it is time for me to return that rifle to its owner which gives me a good reason to buy a rifle of my own. I really like the way the GPR shoots and I am thinking of looking for a used Lyman but I'm not sure which model. I kind of like the idea of the shorter barrel on the Deerstalker and based on what I have read, the shorter barrel doesn't hurt the accuracy. Can anyone shed any light on the trigger pull with the single trigger? Any pros/cons for one Lyman model versus another? I appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks
Mike

#2 ·
Hey Mike, unless I am mistaken I believe the trigger pull is adjustable, to some degree, on all Lyman products. And you can always polish up the sear and the trigger lever mating surface as they are typically rough. Be careful though if you do this as a little polishing goes a long, long way.

#3 ·
Thanks Jimsdad. If I buy one that is used, the trigger pull might not be an issue if the previous owner already dealt with it. I do think that I would enjoy carrying something a bit shorter than the GPR. Of course, I'm sure I won't stop with just one flinter. That just seems unreasonable.

#4 ·
I've owned all three over the last 20 years. First the Deer Stalker for the low price. Traded up to the Great Plains for something more period correct. Then the trade gun for lighter weight and shorter barrel. I'm still not sure which one I liked the most?

From my perspective at this point, I'd suggest either continue to borrow or look for great deal on a production gun, and either build or save up to buy a custom gun. The new Lymans aren't that cheap any more. Jim Kibler's kit isn't that much more than the Great Plains and supposedly goes together pretty easy.

#7 ·
I finished a Southern Mountain Rifle from Jim Kibler last year and it was a terrifically rewarding experience. The stocks are CNC and require VERY little work to get a superb metal to wood fit. Mr. Kibler is extremely accessible and responsive to questions from customers and would-be customers as well. I got to speak with him and Katherine at Dixon's Gun Maker's Fair this past July and it was like talking with next door neighbors . The rifle looks great, I think the barrel is 46 inches long and mine is in .40. It has a swamped barrel and it shoots with outstanding accuracy and the lock time is so fast that it approaches that of a cap lock.

#5 ·
I like Lymans and TC's.I have owned in Lymans
Great Plains Rifle
(early) Plains Rifle
Trades
Deerstalker
Have not owned or tried the Deerstalker Carbine.
The GPR used will either have a 1:60 or 1:66 twist depending on the year made.These twists will let you shoot more powder along with longer barrels to burn that powder.The Trades and deerstalkers shoot just as good.All give less than 1 1/2" groups at 50yds with the proper patch and ball size.
BEWARE buying used as some may have ringed barrels! This happens when a short started ball or conical have slid off the charge and was fired causing a bulge or ring in the barrel.Sometimes this can be felt as a bump on the outside of the barrel.Run your fingers up and down the flats and feel for any slight bump.You might want to invest in a $12 drop in bore light.If you drop the light in and see a dark black ring in the bore,do like I do and smile and hand it back.

#6 ·
I like my Lyman GPR. Its a nice gun for a production piece. However, once I built my own flintlock from a kit, that immediately turned my Lyman into a "should I sell it, nah I'll just keep it as a backup flintlock". Now it gets used only if I draw blood with the gun I built, which I did last week.

One thing I don't like about the Lyman is the coil main spring in the lock. I'd have rather that been a flat leaf like period guns, but it is what it is.

#8 ·
I appreciate the replies. At some point I will get to making one from a kit but no time soon. Way too many projects at the house and kids activities to even consider going that route. I will be keeping my eye open and hopefully I can find the right rifle.

#9 ·
I have the Lyman GPR flinter in .50 for just a year now. Shot it a few times and have enjoyed it. It is heavy. I bought an aftermarket brass ramrod from RMC which is nice but also heavy. I can for sure see the appeal of the Deerstalker on length and weight especially in the thicker stuff. I just loved the look of the GPR and have it on the wall above the woodstove in the off season.

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.