The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   ATV, UTV and Off-Road forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/88-atv-utv-off-road-forum/)
-   -   ATV Winch (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/88-atv-utv-off-road-forum/214065-atv-winch.html)

RacksnQuacks 09-05-2017 04:00 PM

ATV Winch

I want to put a winch on my new 2017 Polaris 450 HO. It might only get used a couple times a year, max, so I am not looking to spend a lot of money. No Warn, Polaris or anything like that. I don't plan on installing a plow any time soon either. I have been reading about the Superwinch, Keeper, and Champion winches. I was leaning toward the Superwinch LT3000 at this time. If anybody could give me some first hand opinions on these or any other budget winch I should consider I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

BBB 09-05-2017 04:46 PM

You need to get a bracket from Polaris . around $50 I just bought the polaris kit 2500 LB winch was $379 But was plug and play !! on in 20 MIN and no cutting wires and switch mounts right where you want it . Its a brand new atv spend the few $ and its right .

johnny.v 09-05-2017 06:33 PM

I agree with BBB , I also have a Polaris its a 570 and I got the Polaris winch and they installed it . Everything done around 300.00 and its warranted. Cheap is sometimes good but when you want it to work and it doesn't you have only the person in the mirror to blame. Think about that on the long walk out of the woods while your trying to figure out how to get the atv out of the mud.

Bigbrownie 09-05-2017 07:14 PM

I have winches on all four of my Suzukis. In addition to getting you unstuck, they're great for hauling deer on the front rack. I've had several bear + 200 lbs on my rack, winch and a couple straps hold them good. I pull my cable stakes with it after trapping season ends, and also use winch to secure quad to the front of my trailer.
If you have a Rural King store near you, they sell a 3000 lb winch for $99 . They put these on sale a couple of times a year for $69. They are on all my quads. If you go on line to their website, they also sell mounts for various Polaris quads. They may also have the mounts in their stores,; I've never looked.

RacksnQuacks 09-05-2017 09:48 PM

Thanks guys. I completely understand what your saying about the Polaris winches. Not sure yet what I'll do. Not totally ruling it out. KFI makes a winch mount as well as another company that fits my Sportsman. All of the guys I hunt with have various brand ATV's as well as winches. Everything from Warn to Harbor freight and I've yet to see any of them fail but they are rarely used. Just looking for suggestions. Thanks Bigbrownie. Any complaints about them and have you had them long?

Bigbrownie 09-05-2017 10:27 PM

No problems with any of them. They are all over 3 years old. My winches get a workout, especially pulling trap anchors. Sometimes the back wheels of the quad are 6 inches off the ground before the cable stakes break loose. And that's with me on the quad. They have a good wire rope, and freewheel easily. Two of the quads have a snowplow, and the winch is used for the lift. I've had to whack off the last 2 feet of cable on spool nearest the hook as the constant flexing from raising and lowering the winch wears the cable after a couple seasons. Just have to refasten the hook.They came with a remote switch, but ive never used them. Make sure when you wire them up that you get your 12 volts from somewhere that's only energized when the key is on. On my Suzukis, I used the circuit that energized a 12 volt auxiliary plug. I wouldn't own a quad without a winch.

NiceRack! 09-10-2017 09:47 AM

I have Super wench LT2000 on my Polaris 570 ranger (2014) easy DIY install came with mounting plate and all hardware to install ..

Woods walker 09-22-2017 11:03 AM

When I bought my Kawasaki Prairie I have them install a Warn Vantage 2000 winch on it. It only cost $328.00 installed.

Dennis Hill 09-28-2017 11:01 PM

go with the warn winch .my dad has one on his 2005 Polaris 500 .had it installed by dealer. has come in handy several times especially with his plow.

mattg1500 10-14-2017 07:23 PM

Had a cabelas trail tamer that at the time was made by superwinch on my honda 500 and it pulled me out plenty of times flawlessly and was under $200 my only complaint was it was handlebar mount control and no remote