The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Habitat Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/41-habitat-forum/)
-   -   Hinge cutting (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/41-habitat-forum/184234-hinge-cutting.html)

Moss 03-28-2017 10:01 AM

Hinge cutting

Anybody ever do this? I have a friend that has 28 acres of mountain land that has deer, turkey and bear that come through. Only thing is it's too open, no underbrush. He was thinking of hinge cutting the trees to make it thick plus having good cover.

Moss 03-28-2017 10:03 AM

Where I'm talking about is on the sunny side of the mountain, the top is thick laurel with oak trees and June berry trees.

OAWC 03-28-2017 11:26 AM

Yes, a very useful habitat technique given some forethought, proper conditions, and safety precautions.

There are a few threads in this forum on the subject...and some of the guys have some good pictures of what they have done in their threads.

If possible, post up some pics of the project area please.

delphic93 03-28-2017 11:48 AM

Yes, I have done it and have been really happy with how my areas are turning out. As O stated, some forethought into what you want to accomplish is key. You can use it to dictate where you want deer to travel, bed, etc.
Some trees hinge better than others, do not try to hinge trees greater than say 6-7 inches diameter. I use a hook to either push or pull tree over. This allows me to only cut thru tree minimum amount that i have to and then I can push it over or pull it over. This leads to a better chance hinge staying intact and tree staying alive for several more years.
Good luck if you decide to do it.

Moss 03-28-2017 12:03 PM

The one section has pole timber in it, it was cleared a while back. That's where he wants to start. As soon as I can get up there I'll take some pics

CROW MASTER 03-28-2017 01:49 PM

You Commented "NO UNDERBRUSH" that is a direct result of no sunlight hitting the ground. Do a small clearcut.
let the sun in. it works excellent.

delphic93 03-29-2017 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CROW MASTER (Post 2230338)
You Commented "NO UNDERBRUSH" that is a direct result of no sunlight hitting the ground. Do a small clearcut.
let the sun in. it works excellent.

Totally agree with this

Moss 03-29-2017 02:13 PM

Is it ok to start hinge cutting now?

LONZO 03-29-2017 02:42 PM

You can hinge cut now but if it is cold the trees are more likely to snap off rather then hinge. I like it to be above 50 degrees.

OAWC 03-29-2017 04:16 PM

Our place is likely to see some hinge cuts every time I have the saw in my hand - ha. I'm not afraid to hinge any time of year....especially when the tree I'm hinging has no value standing up - read MAPLE.