The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Universal Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/58-universal-forum/)
-   -   Copperhead Bite (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/58-universal-forum/125173-copperhead-bite.html)

Bumblehick 07-27-2015 05:47 PM

Copperhead Bite

Anyone have any experience w/a bite?

The wife was bitten on the ankle Sat night @ 9:30pm while stepping out of the tent at Big Bend campground, WV. Stepped on the snake and BAM! Never saw it before the strike. I killed it for positive ID. Transported by ambulance to Grant Memorial hospital in Petersburg WV, where they decided they had no expertise w/copperhead bites. Next transport to WMHS in Cumberland MD, where they actually have antivenom. She's gone through 4 courses of antivenom which appears to have slowed the progression of symptoms, but her leg is swollen something fierce and it's painful. They plan on keeping her in the hospital until late Tues possibly Wed.

Not really clear on how this is going to work in the next few weeks. Permanent damage? Time to full recovery? Not getting very clear answers from the hospital staff at this time. I don't think they know.

Anyone go through this before?

Thanks,

BH

BCozhunter 07-27-2015 05:54 PM

Re: Copperhead Bite

Yikes! Wish I could help, but I don't know of anyone personally that's been through that.

Prayers for the Mrs. for a full and speedy recovery!

Birch812 07-27-2015 06:03 PM

Not my opinion but from the Hikers Notebook
Quote:

The copperhead bite is not serious and requires only minor medical treatment. This is because the venom of the copperhead is not as toxic as that of other poisonous snakes and because copperheads generally do not inject very much. Symptoms of snakebite vary according to individuals and according to the location of the bite. The destruction of red blood cells will almost always be accompanied by bleeding, pain and swelling, and a weak and giddy feeling. Other reported symptoms include difficulty breathing, a change in the pulse rate (usually up but sometimes down), nausea with subsequent vomiting, intestinal discomfort, and unconsciousness.
Good Luck to your wife

dc 21 07-27-2015 06:10 PM

Check the General Hunting forum. There is a ongoing thread about snake bites and there may be some knowledgeable people posting on that thread.

The topic is, " be very careful, very unfortunate"

dce 07-27-2015 06:23 PM

I'm NOT EXPERT ON SNAKE BITES.I do that that while they say copperheads aren't that toxic,quite a few people have died from them in the US.I hope your wife recovers.

John Henry 07-27-2015 06:53 PM

just saw a piece on a dude taking a selfie with a snake.......leads to 150K in medical bills. Apparently that anti-venom is only made by one company, and they charge a lot for it!!

Huntered 07-27-2015 06:58 PM

A friend of mine who raises snakes was bitten a few years ago on his little finger. He went through the same ordeal as your wife and came out of it just fine,his little finger is alittle disfigured but that's it.Wishing her well.

timberdoodle 07-27-2015 08:00 PM

She'll be in my prayer BH. That's best I can add.

Bumblehick 07-27-2015 08:32 PM

Thanks folks! I think prayers are all that can help w/the recovery at this point.

I did read that the antivenom is almost always a synthetic one that's good for copperheads and rattlers. Nasty drug and once used for a snakebite, they will not administer for a second bite later on in life, b/c the complications that can arise are worse than the bite. So if my wife ever gets bitten again, she's toast!

Thanks again guys,

BH

Birch812 07-27-2015 09:10 PM

Hope she has a complete and speedy recovery