The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Universal Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/58-universal-forum/)
-   -   buggy wheels and axles (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/58-universal-forum/120127-buggy-wheels-axles.html)

zimmerstutzen 03-10-2015 08:16 PM

buggy wheels and axles

cleaned out some boxes in the shed that my dad gave me "my stuff" stored at their house from when I was a kid. They sat in the shed for 20 years until I got to them last Sunday. In one box were 4 old wheels salvaged from a lawn mower or other cart and two long axles. Brought back memories of the several reincarnations of the carts I built to coast down the hill we lived on. I laughed as I remembered the first. I was about 8 and scrounged some boards from discards behind houses being built near home. I did not even know how to make steering so the cart just went straight toward whatever direction it was pointed. Then my buddies ad I discovered how to make a front steering that was steered with the feet and we wore paths in the grass running down the hill in the field along the road. A little older, and another build using the same wheels and axles and we ran down the road. We even jury rigged some skis for our cart one winter and came up with a super sled. Seems each spring for a few years, the wheels and axles became a new cart until at about 14, we scrounged up a lawn mower engine and added a pully to one rear wheel. A wore out 2.5 hp gas engine could only chug along slowly but we had a blast and learned something of simple engineering. Beyond 14, our attention was drawn by girls and anticipation of driving.

Thinking back about those days seems like an "Our Gang" Episode. A day when we built our own with scrounged materials. And then it dawned on me, I have not seen or heard of any young kids trying to build their own coasters in 30 years.

Big Redneck 03-10-2015 09:02 PM

Re: buggy wheels and axles

I remember building carts where the front axle was just a 2 X 4 with lawn mower wheels and a bolt holding it to the 2 X 8 seat. We braided binder twine into a rope and tied a piece to each end of the axle for steering.

In the winter my Dad made me a Go-Devil out of a wooden barrel stave. It was just a curved board with a seat on top. Sanded smooth and waxed that thing would really go.

When we got a little older we took the hood off an old Studebaker, removed all the chrome then waxed it till it would shine. Get 4 or 5 friends in it and it would go farther than a toboggan. Didn't steer with a hoot.

Every kid had a bike with a ball glove on one side of the handlebars and your swimming trunks on the other. Played ball in the neighbors pasture field, when you were done playing ball your rode down to the "crick" and cooled off.

yellodog 03-10-2015 09:54 PM

only kids i saw playing outside this winter were amish. we rode sleds, ice skated, made our own "snowshoes", built forts out of snow, ect.

and folks wonder why hunting is dying.

RonM 03-10-2015 11:13 PM

I enjoy harking back to my youth occasionally...

jimsdad 03-10-2015 11:37 PM

Well, that 30 years just about matches with the rise of computers. The kids are now building microprocessors, enhancing toolbar applications, developing web crawler applications for stuff that isn't even invented yet. The whole focus has shifted from fossil fuel burners to CD burners. I remember well the heady days when the smell of gasoline and perfume were the most powerful influences in my life. I have no clue what drives today's youth.

Ron pa 03-11-2015 12:08 AM

We called ours " Hoodlebugs!" Why, I don`t know ?? Really rough riding going down a Gravel Road !!Basic 2x4 Steering and one Kid even had a Brake on His !!