The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Some musky from Western Pennsylvania

8K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  C-Money 
#1 ·
Thought maybe some of you musky guys would like to see a few fish from Western Pennsylvania....I work as a Water Pollution Biologist for PA DEP. One of our job duties is to collect fish tissue for analysis at specific Water Quality Network Stations. These brutes were caught using electrofishing gear and were all released unharmed. Typically when we collect fish for analysis it would be fish eaten more regularly by the public such as bass, walleye, panfish and trout:

We saw 5 this particular day over 40 inches:

a beautiful 44 inch tiger musky:

and a nice pike...

Good fishing to everyone!!!

See less See more
#6 ·
Mike, Esocids are a tough fish to electrofish since they are so powerful and if you keep the current on rather than switching it on and off they will usually bolt out ahead of the current. That is why the PFBC uses trap nets to survey for musky. I believe when they conduct e-fishing surveys, they leave the current on which might be why they don't collect them...or maybe they didn't collect any when you were with them.

Strut...I believe the pike was just under 30. The largest pike I believe I ever e-fished was a 37 inch lunker out of Conneaut Lake.

Yes, the tiger musky was a real nice fish...the nicest one I ever saw...a true trophy.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.