The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/)
-   Wild Edibles Forum (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/43-wild-edibles-forum/)
-   -   End of the Garden (https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/43-wild-edibles-forum/1040-end-garden.html)

Woods walker 10-05-2009 03:11 PM

End of the Garden

Just picked about a dozen beautiful green and yellow bell peppers and pulled all plants but one that still has two getting yellow. Last vegies of the summer.

redrockhunter 10-05-2009 03:13 PM

Re: End of the Garded

i got a couple of green bell peppers left to pick and then i'm done. been a lousy summer for my garden.

springfreak 10-05-2009 03:14 PM

sad ain't it, pulled all mine last week except for carrots, kale, brussell sprouts and butternut squash..

glock3540 10-05-2009 07:00 PM

pulled all but 6 pepper plants. My tomatos are still producing but will be pulled in the next few days. Beans were pulled a while ago. I have the second planting of beets to pull. Second round of cabbage is still going strong

Woodywoodduck 10-06-2009 02:40 AM

Why are you guys pulling your peppers?

Mine are still in and my buddy's are still in....when the frost hits mine, they will be done for the year...

but, when the weather man calls for frost, I'll be helping my Buddy cover his over with plastic and setting the small heaters in the feild so he can get some extra growing out of his...

The small heaters are what looks like cannon balls with a wick sticking out of them...we lay the plastic over the peppers and then at certain points set 1 of the heaters...he normaly has peppers till the beginning of november if all works out right with covering them...he got the idea from seeing the amish start different veggies early in lancaster county some years ago, seems they have tents they cover thier veggie plants with early in the spring and then set out the small wick heaters...

Might not be the route for everyone...but there still is enough time for the pepper plants to produce peppers in the southern part of the state, if we do not get an early frost!

We still have our late cabbage, broccoli and mix of turnips, beets, and lettuce in that is growing like mad.....

My Buddy's late plant of green beans and lima beans are still getting beans set on them...

We just let mother nature hit certain things and then are done with them....the peppers are a different story...he makes to much off them each year to let them get nailed by frost and end the growing season...thus, why we lay the pastic over them and try to get extra growing time...might be a little extra work, but it has been working for him for the past 5 years!

glock3540 10-06-2009 12:19 PM

I already have more peppers canned/frozen that I know what to do with and archery season is upon us so all of my free time goes into hunting.