The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

2012-13 Tacoma Owners

4K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Double Lung 20 
#1 ·
Been looking at the specs on mpg and wanted some owner input. Looking at the V6 Tacoma 4x4 access cab real life mpg averages. Thanks for any info.

#6 ·
This is my 4 door Tacoma 2004 i'm not sure what the gas mileage is but don't really care but I love it anywho:

#7 ·
I work on them every day and customers tell me 18-20mpg is the norm. No one wants to hear this as its cheaper, but using 87 octane will result in the poorest mpg....spending an extra 10-15 cents a gallon will get much better proformance and fuel mileage...so it works out about the same in cost to run the higher octane as the cheaper fuel. Nice truck MQ1 !

#12 ·
I have a 2010 Ford STX extended cab with the 4.6 3valve V8.

I average 17-18 in all around driving. I get 20-21 on an all highway trip at 70 mph.

It cost me about $25000 which is in the ballpark of a tacoma if not cheaper, and is a bigger vehicle capable of towing more, apparently gets better gas mileage, will be cheaper to repair, and it was essentially loaded.

Why would you buy a Tacoma? You can get more out of any of the 3 american full size trucks.

#15 ·
Yep, its 4x4.

They went to the 5.0 motor last year. It has more horsepower but I think the ratings are the same for mpg. Although I don't have experience with it.

The big trucks from the big 3 american makers are heavily discounted at the end of the year. I think Chevy went to the same extended cab set up as Dodge where you have a regular door which is a huge plus after having suicides on mine.

Mine has the 4.6 3 valve. Gets 292 horse, have power windows and locks, cd, rear split, towing package, 18" alloys, fogs, cruise, and air. Plus it has a rubber floor which I really like, better than carpet.

My brother has a crew cab taco that is an '11. He does all his driving around town and I think he said he gets around 16 or 17. He said if he's lucky he'll get 21 on the highway, but that might be his driving style. However he is happy with his mileage compared to the 9 or 10 he was getting before. His main gripe is that he should have bought a full size four door since its small for a family of five and he only saved around 3-4 grand. I think his was 28k after trades.

#22 ·
Got 21.25 MPG on the highway for our trip up to NY for vacation. Had a kayak, 2 bikes, one passenger, and the cab stuffed with cargo. I did have the Tonneau cover on and the engine is just now getting broken in. Combined driving I get about 18 to 19 mpg with regular unleaded. I got a double cab, long bed 2013.

#23 ·
The second gen Tacomas were released in 2005. I get 17 mpg on 87 octane. It is 2006 double cab long bed Tacoma 4x4 v6 auto with 90000 miles. It does have a leer cap and the tires are bfg at ko in 245/75/16. I would get better mpg if I had less aggressive tires. I change the fluids and plugs as needed. I am on my third set of tires(stock dunlops only lasted 30k). The battery was replaced once and the front brake pads lasted 89k(replaced at 1/8). It is reliable, but wish the mpg were better. I am going to keep running it until I have to put money into the tranny or engine.

#24 ·
TEE said:
The second gen Tacomas were released in 2005. I get 17 mpg on 87 octane. It is 2006 double cab long bed Tacoma 4x4 v6 auto with 90000 miles. It does have a leer cap and the tires are bfg at ko in 245/75/16. I would get better mpg if I had less aggressive tires. I change the fluids and plugs as needed. I am on my third set of tires(stock dunlops only lasted 30k). The battery was replaced once and the front brake pads lasted 89k(replaced at 1/8). It is reliable, but wish the mpg were better. I am going to keep running it until I have to put money into the tranny or engine.
You can't have it all! The very high resale value of Tacomas more than makes up for the mediocre MPG. What truck gets better MPG? My dad's new F150 doesn't get any better than my truck...that said his is a V8 though. To be honest I am more disappointed in the MPG of the Tundra than the Tacoma.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.