Gear help please - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Gear help please

I'm looking to buy a backpacking tent I just picked up a Teton scout 3400 backpack to use for my backpacking and camping trips (55 liter) and now I need a tent and a sleeping bag. I'm 6'2 and 155 lbs so I get cold easy I'm looking for a single person or 1.5 person incase I take my dog along. Has to be waterproof and any first hand recommendations would be great. I was looking at a "Eurika solitaire" but I'm not sure it would fit myself and my dog but I think I could possibly make it work. Any help would be great. Fair warning I'm a pure rookie when it comes to this stuff so easy on the lingo hahaha!!!

Sleeping bag and tent help greatly appreciated

Ryan.

Killin' and grillin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 01:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Gear help please

For me I would not go with a 1 person tent. Too small. I have a 2 person tent and my sleeping bag from EMS. The tent is a North Face todpole and the sleeping bag is s 20 degree Cat's meow. The sleeping bag is a little big when packed, but does keep me warm. My backpack is an Osprey Aether 70. Look on line at EMS, REI and Golite. They have a lot of choices. I am 5'10" and carry a full sleeping pad. Other sites to look at are hiking sites. Try trail journals or white blazes. Good luck. Since you're up in Altoona you need to practice on the Black Forest trail. It's a gut buster but fun.

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Still browsing for a tent for myself. No way I can afford a 275$ tent at this point. Although it is really nice. My max is $150 for the tent. I'm torn kinda thinking either a 1 or 1.5 person incase I'd decide to take my dog. Any other suggestions?

And thanks big time for the input I just can't afford to burn that much right now. (College is expensive. Who'd have thought?? )

Ryan.

Killin' and grillin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 12:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a North Face 'Cat's Meow' that I bought at Hermans...remember Hermans, "They were sports"...Still in good shape after 20 years.

Good 2-man tent, Eureka Timberline 2 w/ a vestibule. A sturdy design, quick to put up, stable in a storm, room for one person and a dog.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to hunt for them!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 02:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

If the dog is going to be in the tent, be aware that its nails might rip or puncture the nylon floor.
That being said, you can always use the old style military shelter "half tents."
Yeah you're sleeping on the ground but, you should be using an ensure pad anyways.
Also, consider getting panniers for the dog, to have it carry its own food.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by wis bang
I have a North Face 'Cat's Meow' that I bought at Hermans...remember Hermans, "They were sports"...Still in good shape after 20 years.

Good 2-man tent, Eureka Timberline 2 w/ a vestibule. A sturdy design, quick to put up, stable in a storm, room for one person and a dog.
Wis bang is spot on. The timber line series is classic. Durable no frills that gets the job done.

I still have a bag I bought about 10 year ago, a Kelty 20 degree cloud loft. I too was on a budget. I was always cold in it. I ponied up the dough for a nice bag for my wife. I went with a North Face cat's meow, a 15 or 20 degree bag. I took it along camping one weekend after grabbing the wrong bag, squeezed into it and other than being too short, it was far warmer than my beat Kelty.

A simple Therma-rest ridge rest, z rest or any closed cell foam pad is a must. The self inflating pads are night are day better. I upgraded a few years ago and wont ever look back.

Arts mag is right - you'll want to throw something down like one of those space blankets to help with the dog punching holes. I always put something down under the test as well, keeping it a few inches inside the footprint of the tent so it will not collect water. I use a piece of the felt landscape fabric I sewed together and cut to fit the tents footprint. It adds a few extra ounces but it keeps the water from sitting directly under the tent, touching the nylon and also acts as a barrier from any sharp stone or stick. I don't set my tent up with out it. I do more camping from a canoe, or car camping so the slight extra bulk and weight doesn't affect me. That said, i also pack it if i'm back packing. Which hasn't happened in several years.

Good luck, buy one cry once...But I was there. i bought the best I could, suffered with the things I was lacking but I never did not have a good time!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't know how good of a tent you are going to get for $150. Maybe take a look at the Flint by North Face. As for sleeping bags go with the Kelty Cosmic Down 20 or 40. Super light weight which you'll love if you are going to be packing it around.

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 01:19 AM
Frequent Contributor

Our scout troop uses the Eureka Xlt 2 person if you are 10-14 yr. old. Works good for one adult. Cabela's had a Eureka Amari Pass for2 person 130 3 person 169.99 Look for aluminum poles. weight for either one under 5 lbs. My son has a Eureka solitare moisture is a problem. Thanks

camp in A.N.F.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 03:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Cabelas usually has a pretty big selection of tents set up on display. Your best bet would be to go look and see which one suites you best.

I have at least 6 different tents, all of them serve different purposes.
For backpacking I use mt Eureka Zeus 2 Exo because it packs small and is light. It's a single wall tent rated for 2 people. My wife and I both slept in it but it is tight. As with most single walled tents moisture (condensation) can be a problem without proper ventilation.
I also have a Eueka tetragon 5 (I think it's a 5), they are now called the Apollo. It's a 2 person tent also but is slightly bigger. It has a fly so no moisture issues but it's heavier than the Zeus.

Another thing to keep in mind is where you are going to be using it. A bigger tent has a bigger footprint and depending on where your hiking it's sometimes hard to find a flat level spot for solo's. That's especially true in our rocky state.

Here is the tetragon.

The other tent is a TexSport I bought many years ago cheap through sportsman guide or something like that. It's ok but cheaply made, had to replace poles and small holes.

I have a picture of the Zeus somewhere....

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 03:08 AM

Ryan , if your a real rookie and your going to sleep with your dogs , also make sure you spray EVERYTHING with Permethrin for TICKS . Here is a link for your dogs . Good luck.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/permeth...ogs/page1.aspx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page