Camp stoves - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Camp stoves

I'm dreaming of spring and backpacking trips, something I'm just getting into. One of the items I'd like to pick up is a packable camp stove. I've seen the MSR variety and JetBoil in use. I'm leaning towards a JetBoil (either Flash or SOL model), my friend is adamant that I should get a MSR (pocket rocket specifically). I see the utility in both, and being that the MSR is so cheap, may well get it as well.

What do you guys have? Pros? Cons?

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 12:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Camp stoves

I have a pocket rocket and really like it. I've done some hiking and overnights the past 3 years and have used it on each hike. I'm getting ready for an AT thru hike in about 3 years when I retire. The other guys I hike with also use the pocket rocket. I bought mine at EMS. We just hiked the weekend after Christmas and with temps in the teens one morning it worked very well. Right now I don't have any cons.

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 01:03 AM
Part of the Community

About 10 years ago or more I picked up an MSR Whisperlight International. It wasn't cheap for me then. But 10 years and hours upon hours of use later & I haven't even used the re-build kit I bought when I got the stove. occasionally the jet will get clogged with soot, but a few knocks on a rock and the shaker jet clears right up.

I've packed this stove while back packing many times. I used it to cook several times/week one summer while I was doing a college internship & the kitchen was less than ideal to cook in. More recently it's gone along on dozens of over night padding trips where I was more often car camping than over night padding.

It's an older model, I believe the newer models allow one to simmer better than this one, but I still find it easy to cook anything from eggs and bacon to boiling a pot of water for freeze dried meals. I also consider it easy on fuel & if you would happen to take off and forget to fill your bottles up with white fuel you can top them off with regular gas, diesel, fuel oil, jet fuel or kerosene.

The availability of fuel for me was the greatest draw. I also liked that it had a low profile and a decent base.

Many of my paddling partners love the old school Coleman back packing stove, but I find they sit high off the ground & I don't care for the balance. they pack a bit bulky too.

The downside to the pocket rocket style MSR stoves are the fuel availability. Although they're found easily in most big box outdoors stores or any outfitters it is one less thing that I do not have to remember to pick up. I also didn't care for ending up with an empty fuel can to throw away (recycle). they're tough to do anything other than boil water too. It's hard to beat the price of the stove though...cheap.

The Jet boil stoves are great for boiling water, very efficient, super light. They're good at what they are designed to do & if you're only using foods that you must re-hydrate, a stove of this style is the ticket. If you can sacrifice a bit more space and a few oz of weight, a whisper light or similar style liquid fuel stove may be your thing.

I also haven't taken the plunge, but this stove sure looks like the bees knees - http://www.rei.com/product/846334/bi...ning-campstove

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 01:50 AM
Frequent Contributor

I use a pocket rocket and love it. I matched it up with a GSI Halulite minimalist. The stove fits inside the minimalist (I remove it from the plastic stove holder to save weight). Had mine for 6 years and love it. My hiking partner has a jetboil and they love it. Can't go wrong with either....its about what makes you happy. I will say this--on one trip my partner kept trying to set up his shield to keep the wind away from his jetboil(which was a pain for him) and I simply lit mine up and no problems

-=Demillo=-
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
The Man

DustyRoads, my friend just received that Biolite for Christmas. I'll report on it when we break it in.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

I use a pocket rocket and like it. It has worked well even in the single digits. The weight of the pocket rocket and fuel is 11 oz. Looking at the BioLite it weights 2 lb 1 oz. I have not had the problem of looking for fuel while on the trail but have not gone that many days that I would need to be looking for a new canister.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Part of the Community

Adam - cool, let me know how he makes out. It certainly has a pretty novel idea to it.

Michaux - I hear you there. Those canisters last a while, as for weight. You can't complain with the pocket rocket. My issue wasn't running out on the trail as much as it was having an OS moment when I'm about to head out the door, having to head to a specific store to pick another up. But, I suspect that my thought process would change knowing that I need to have a few on hand & keeping up a good stock.

But lets face it, whisper light, pocket rocket, jet boil. None of them compare to that biolite stove - Only the biolite can charge your cell phone so you can report back during your adventure in the woods to HPA!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up a JetBoil and a Pocket Rocket. I can see me mostly relying on dehydrated meals when I'm by myself but if my girlfriend tags along and it's a bit easier hike, the PR would come in handy for a "fancier" meal.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads
Adam - Only the biolite can charge your cell phone so you can report back during your adventure in the woods to HPA!
That's why I hike in the mountains so I don't have to report back to HPA... I plan on thru hiking the AT in 3 years and don't want that extra weight. I'm sure it's good. They all have there + and -. Let us know how you make out. Good Luck

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 05:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

A lot of AT thru hikers are using simple alcohol stoves. Fuel is available cheap and light weight. I have a pocket rocket but I find myself taking a simple cat stove or a trangia (spelling) stove. They do not work that well with temps in the low teens. Hopefully you won't see that on the AT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page