Pack weight - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Pack weight

For you backpackers, what is your pack weight for a summer overnight trip without your food or water?

FIST FULL OF THROTTLE AND A TRUCK FULL OF BUCK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Pack weight

If the weather is good, the only thing I would need is my hammock, a sheet, and bug net, and maybe a change of socks and drawers. I could probably get down to a fanny pack without vittles.

If you figure a 2 man backpack tent is 5 lb, a fleece sleeping bag at 2 lb, what else do you really need? Even if you throw in a flashlight, socks, a little first aid kit, and a cheap sleeping pad, and weight of the pack, you should be under 15 easy.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

One night, probably about 15 lbs.

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Haha. I have some work to do then to cut down on weight. I downsized my pack size this year and that saved me about 2 pounds alone. I'm hoping it will also force me to leave unnecessary items at home due to smaller pack size. I'm trying to get my base weight in the sub 20 pound realm. Last year it was around 30 pounds. Still racking my brain trying to figure out how to leave 8 more pounds behind.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When I go it's usually for at least 2 nights, my pack usually weighs about 34 pounds with food and water.

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thats where I am for 2 nights with food and water, about 35. What can you possibly be carrying to get 30lb for 1 night w/o food?

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

I just got done with a 2 night, 3 day AT hike from Rt 72 and the AT to the river at 322 bridge between Christmas and New Years. 35 lbs at the start. That includes food and water. Ended up with only a small zip lock bag of peanuts left so I guessed right on food. But it depends on temperature. I took extra clothing for around the camp site and shelter and for sleeping. Night temp was about 15 degrees and wind of about 10 - 15 mph. Summer time eliminate about 3 - 4 lbs for clothing and 1.5 for lighter sleeping bag.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

5# pack, 5.5# tent, handgun with extra mag, and my water filter is 15# right there. I may be remembering incorrectly and including food and water in that 30 pounds. Never-the-less, my goal this year is to get my pack weight as light as possibly without sacrificing comfort. Thought about getting a lighter tent but I like mine too much to replace it.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

I like the sawyer mini for a water filter.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaron
5# pack, 5.5# tent, handgun with extra mag, and my water filter is 15# right there. I may be remembering incorrectly and including food and water in that 30 pounds. Never-the-less, my goal this year is to get my pack weight as light as possibly without sacrificing comfort. Thought about getting a lighter tent but I like mine too much to replace it.
Handgun with extra mag...one mag is enough and a light weight handgun for me. Northface Tadpole tent #5, and Osprey Ather 70 backback- #5.4. I use chemiclas to treat my water. Have a UV light but heavy and need to recharge light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page