Camper for deer camp?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Camper for deer camp??

Need some feedback. Im thinking about getting a 24ft thru 27ft camper for a mobil deer camp. So I can try diff parts of pa thruouht the years. How is the heating system on most, will they keep me warm during winter hunts? Also are they allowed on state forrest or sgl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Camper for deer camp??

We use a camper for our camp. They work great and are mobile. Heating is no problem but I would look at a 4 season camper for cold weather use. During the summer we use it as a fish camp.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 03:42 PM

We used to use our small trailer for bear season 30yrs ago. We would haul it up to Hyner Run State Park and set up for the 2 or 3 day season. There were only 3 of us so it wasn't cramped. Pop was alawys worried about carbon monoxide/dioxide(one of those) so he shut the little heater off when we went to sleep. Made for some frosty mornings, but being a small trailer it didn't take long to warm up. My uncle bought a mini motorhome(box on a van cab)that we used for a few seasons too.(we would drive up in the old station wagon + use that for transportation.)

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 11:08 AM

My uncle and I used a slide in camper on back of a Dodge truck. Stayed in a campground for the shower and dump. Then we used my CJ-7 Jeep {remember them} to go back and forth through Potter and Tioga. Fond memories.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Part of the Community

The heating systems in most travel trailers run on propane. You will want to make sure you have a good, workable propane and carbon monoxide detector in the trailer. Then, you should have no problem in running one all night and keeping warm. However, if you do not have a generator or a land electric hookup, the propane furnace fan and ignition run on a 12v battery, and you can easily discharge 1 or 2 batteries during a long night (plus you can go through quite a bit of propane as well).

Also, you probably wouldn't want to carry water in the trailer's holding tank, use the toilet in the trailer or take showers in it in freezing weather, for fear of freezing the water lines and or holding tanks.

Also, keep in mind that towing a trailer of this size requires an adequately equipped tow vehicle, and winter towing with the potential of snow and ice can be challenging at times.

Assuming you account for these items, there is no reason not to consider a travel trailer for winter use. One should keep you warm and dry.

I do not know the answer to your question of camping on state lands.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm getting my camper packed today. Heading up to Potter on Sunday.
My grandfather always had a motor home and we hunted potter county out of it for my first 10+ years of hunting. My grandfather, dad, and uncles hunted and snowmobiled up there out of campers many years before I started hunting (1982).

The heater in campers are fine, if it's really cold out don't expect to be lounging around in shorts and a T-shirt though. You will need a generator or a way to charge your batteries.
I have a 2014 28 foot Wildwood and we were camping this past spring with no hookups and we needed the heat at night. The fan blowing the heat off and on all night was enough to drain the battery each night.
The state park we are camping at in potter has electric hook-ups so I packed 2 electric heaters to supplement the campers propane furnace. More to save propane than anything.

I don't know of any SGL's that allow camping.
Some State Forests have what they call motorized camping sites. They are usually free but you need to call and give your info and dates ahead of time. A lot of state park campgrounds are in state forests. The costs are low and usually have at least pit toilets.
Like I mentioned above we are staying at a state park but we walk right out of the camper a few hundred yards (in just about any direction) to miles of hunting.

I'll see if I can find the motorized camping info.

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Here is a link to a PDF on the rules & guidelines on DCNR motorized camping.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/group...cnr_007035.pdf

If you google 'DCNR motorized camping' you'll find a ton of info.

Hope this helps ya out.

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks all for response. I appreciate it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page