Need a tent - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Need a tent

I am looking for a tent. Looking for a larger tent 16 x 10 or so for the family to go camping. Waterproof a must. Can anyone recommend one for me?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 12:44 PM
The Man

Re: Need a tent

lordy, you're not a newbie, taking the whole family tent camping are you? I hope not.

For any newbie, always put up the tent, in the yard or at a park, before you really need it. Never assume a tent is waterproof. Are you spending thousands on waterproofing?
More people end their tenting career after a rain storm. It's your family; you're the waterproof expert.

When you put up the tent, for your tryout, test a small patch or two for waterproofing.
After each use, you have to look for breakdowns in waterproof. Especially after it rains. It could be a small corner.

Learn how to use less expensive cans of silicone spray for waterproofing. They are found at automotive stores.
I've done the waterproofing in a back yards or at a park; not on camping day.

The last things I'd want to see is an unprepared newbie taking his whole family tent camping in one big tent.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

How many in the family and how many kids? We are five - two parents, three kids. When the youngest got to be five we transitioned to two tents, one for the kids and one for us. For us, we have a cheap Coleman Ara 6-person tent http://www.coleman.com/product/2000001886. They cost about $100. For the kids we have backpacking tent from Kelty http://www.kelty.com/p-496-grand-mesa-4.aspx?category=tents-shelters. If we go backpack camping this summer as requested by the kids, we'll squeeze in there. The Kelty is newer but the Coleman has resisted VERY, VERY rainy camping weekends that have flooded others' tents pretty bad over a couple of seasons. I've been very happy with it. We need to patch a few spots before this summer, but it's been very durable. I recommend multiple tents so that if one fails, you can squeeze in the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 05:07 AM
Frequent Contributor

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 04:53 PM

Most tents sold today in the stores are fairweather at best. There are also heavy canvas outfitter tents. A place in West VA. called Panther Primitives makes about 20 different types of tents that are first rate heavy duty. but they aren't exactly light weight nor do they throw together with some fiberglass rods. A bit expensive for camper newbies though. But you can get a tipi large enough for a tribe. http://www.pantherprimitives.com/

I have a 10 x 10 wall tent and a 15 x 15 Marquis, both from Panther. The Marquis is big enough to hang a six candle chandelier in it. (we do).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 01:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There are a lot of good tents on the market. It depends on how you intend to use it. If you are looking for a 10' x 16' you must be car camping. I have a few backpacking tents but am looking to purchase a family tent too. I am leaning toward a Kodiak canvas tent. They are heavy but nice. Also, because they are not synthetic, you need to dry them up before putting them away.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 01:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When doing camping by myself or with friends I take a light kelty or coleman. With the family I have an 8man for 5 people (always leave extra room for gear). I set up my tents in the back yard and waterproof them and let it dry. We spend a week each summer tent camping at pymatuning, the tent is "water proof" but I still put a good heavy tarp over and under it tied tight with para cord. If you saw my tent you would think it looked like it had a turtle shell on it, but we don't get wet. Last year during the week we had severe thunderstorms twice a large amount of the tent campers were rained out and left, we played poker. Buy a bigger tent than you need from a reputable company Coleman, Kelty, Marmot, etc. Waterproof it as long as it won't damage the tent, and then take extra protection. Have fun.

Molon Labe
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 07:54 PM

if you are going to spend a lot of money for a tent, why not look into a used popup. if you have a vehicle that can pull one its better then a tent. keeps you off the ground if it rains. theres one in the indiana paper for sale.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 02:14 PM

Tarp over your tent for rain .

https://www.google.com/search?q=tarp+ove...mp;ved=0CDAQ7Ak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page