TN in July.....? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

TN in July.....?

There are Thirteen of us headed down to TN in July, Six adults, Four teens, Three youngsters. Has anyone stayed in the Pigeon Forge area before? Not concerned about the touristy things i.e Dollywood etc. Looking for some hiking/fishing areas close by that are nice.

Any reccomendations would be helpful. It's been about Thirty years since I have been down to that part of TN....

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Re: TN in July.....?

Was there a few years ago for a wedding. Didn't get to do much exploring but there is some good BBQ around there.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 01:22 AM
The Man

Beautiful country! We stayed in Gatlinburg. We ate in some nights, and out on others.
Cades Cove - as early or late in the day as possible.
Grotto Falls - It's uphill both ways lol
Clingmans Dome - A great view.

Check here.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Eddie....

Also checking out Douglas Lake for some fishing. Lots of trout streams near where we are staying too. Someone mentioned Smokey Mountian Knife Works? Anyone been there?

From what I understand, we are in the Sevierville area. NPS says there is a landslide that closed 441 so not sure if We can get to Cherokee via that route.

Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

I went last August and it was a great trip. We stayed in Gaitlinburg. I think Pigeon Forge just had some wild fires goin on down there, not sure how much burned though...Cades cove is a must to do, it was almost an hour from Gaitlinburg if I remember (windy road). Like already mentioned, go early or early evening..We went first thing in the morning and saw bear, deer, and turkeys...Awesome eats especially bbq...

We rented a boat at Douglass to fish, but with the hot weather, we swam most of the time..The lake was low last year and just today I seen pics and the water is 30ft low...2 of the lakes coves just had a stream running through them probably not more than a foot deep.

It rained hard every afternoon for a few hours, so we did the touristy stuff in the morning and after dinner time. Went to Bass pro the same day as the lake... did the zip line tour, which was awesome!! Highly recommended!! Definatly going to go back. Have fun, you'll enjoy yourselves!!

Pa Hunting-It's a natural high!
2D 2F
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Be extremely careful in the National Park - the speed limit is only 25 MPH and they set up radar like every mile - is a speed trap for sure - and the fines are stiff cause it is FEDERAL - going over from pigeon forge to Gatlinburg be careful!!!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great tips. I did know of the fires last week. (We are safe) from that area of PF. A few miles away. Good to know abou the NPS speed limits.

We (three families) are getting together in Mid April to dicuss all our options of things to do while we are there. I'm sure the boys are going to want to do some fishing, and I know my wife and son want to try and get to the Smoky Mountian Knife works if possible. I have seen a few other things for the kids as well. Mostly my wife and I are looking at the hiking trails and seeing whats best for that time of year. i.e camelbacks, etc. We are trying to see what waterfalls we want to check out and how the stream are running.....hopefully they are good to go.

Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 02:50 AM
The Man

Dingo, we did not make it to the SM knife works. But, I have a couple friends that stopped there. They loved it. We did hit the Bass Pro. I was a little under the weather while we were there, so I missed a couple days. What a vacation! I have three books you may want to look into "Waterfalls of the Smokies" Hubbs, Maynard, and Morris; "Exploring the Smokies" by Rose Houk; and "Smokies Road Guide" by Jerry DeLaughter. All good resources. The Great Smokey Mountain Assoc also publishes several guides. There is one on Day hikes. You can pick it up for about a buck on their site. It shows a bunch of hikes, and gives a little blurb on each route. If I had some way to get these to ya, I'd let ya borrow them. I'll go back one day, so I want to keep the set.

I'm serious though, you need to check out Grotto falls. They say it's 2.6 miles, and of "moderate" difficulty. I thought it was tougher than that. Too old and fat I guess. The day we were up there we shared the trail with a wagon train of llama's bringing stuff off the mountain from LeConte Lodge. It was pretty cool to see. We were there in July as well. The day we went up to Clingmans Dome, you needed a jacket. It was like 10am overcast, and then rain. Hopefully, the mess on 441 does not prevent you from getting Clingmans Dome.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Eddie, that's helpful info. I'm pretty sure my niece has the Waterfalls book already! She mentioned it but I will confirm with her this month.

Thanks again!

Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 01:30 PM
The Man

ME and my wife went there last September......we actually stayed outside of Gatlinburg, which is a little closer to the National Park. It was a very nice place to go, and there was a lot of things to do in and around the park for the outdoor minded people. There are several driving tour loops, which are worth taking a look at. They take you in loops through some of the frontier cabins, and offer information about the cabins, and the people whim lived there. We also saw a lot of wildlife on those tours. There is also a lot of hiking trails, and most of them arent too bad of a hike. If you go to some of the local businesses there, or the Park Ranger Station, they have maps with all of the driving trails, and hiking trails on them. It is definitely worth checking out.

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page