Hammersly Wild Area, Twin Sisters Trail - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hammersly Wild Area, Twin Sisters Trail

I'm heading up there in a few weeks. Plan on parking along Red Ridge Road and hiking south on Twin Sisters Trail about 4 miles. Set up base camp and bushwacking around from there.

Has anyone ever hiked the Twin Sisters trail???

I've read that it's not maintained and can be hard to follow....
Any info on the trail or area would be appreciated.

Thanks

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hammersly Wild Area, Twin Sisters Trail

I walked in Twin Sisters a little ways. It was like a cow path.

Camp Longbeard, Cross Fork, Potter County
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 11:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I can't say for sure if it was done last summer, but it was cleared top to bottom at least once each of the previous 3 years

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the info.

Could not find much info on the trail online (might be a good thing) but I did find this one trip report. Not sure what year it was but he mentions twin sisters trail being hard to follow.

http://neohbackpackingclub.com/triplog.aspx?tid=158

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 01:00 PM

Tracker,I parked at Crossfork and hiked from there to Prouty Place . If I remember correctly Twin Sisters is part of the Susquehannock Trail System and you can hike over to Hammersley Wild Area which is a BEAUTIFUL section with native Brook trout to grab a dry fly . Very nice trek . Have a nice time....Finn

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Part of the Community

I hike the whole length of twin sisters trail from red ridge road to cross fork every bear season.. it gets hard to follow after you get through the "burn area"; which is a nickname for elk lick knob, the site of a massive forest fire in the 1960's...the trees never grew back, so its a whole hillside of switchgrass..beautiful view from that point.. but anyways, the trail is marked with new paint of a new color every year , but i doubt it will be done this early.. the marks were yellow dots on the trees to follow the twin sisters trail, if you start at red ridge and hike down, the trail rides the top of the ridges, so if you break east you will end up in elk lick hollow, and if you break west you will end up in hammersly fork. i believe hammersly fork starts right at the base of the "burn area".. definetly stop in at kinneys store in cross fork and spend the $10 on a topo of the short run quadrangle. it has everything you will be exploring along TSS. have fun & take a fly rod !

Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks everyone.

Bassbucks69,
Great info and you confirmed what I had heard and read....from red ridge to elk lick knob (about 2 miles?) the trail is nice but after its iffy. Thanks.

Is there room to park a car or two near the twin sisters trail head on red ridge road??
Any worries about theft or vandalism parking in the area??

Thanks again

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Part of the Community

yes, its about 2 miles from the red ridge parking area to elk lick knob.. theres room for probably ten to twelve cars at the trailhead on red ridge, and I would highly doubt any chance of vandalism.. ive parked there for two days before and it was fine. even during hunting season when the place is more crowded . if you have some hiking experience you should be fine navigating the TS trail with a good topo and compass !

Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Your biggest problem with your parked vehicle will probably be porkies. I spotlighted Red Ridge last summer and they were everywhere!

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:01 AM

You are correct about the porcupines . My brother had wires chewed and had to splice them . I have heard of spreading moth balls around the vehicle to deter them .

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page