SE PA Backpacking - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

SE PA Backpacking

I'm trying to find an overnight backpack trip in or near SE im planning on taking my 8 year old and 16 year old to get them used to overnight back pack / camping. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: SE PA Backpacking

The AT up near Cabela's out to the Pinnicle area and back. Check AT guidelines on where you can lawfully camp.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

Are you taking a tent? If not do the AT and stay in the shelters, but make sure the shelter you stay in allows fires. Some do not, which is kind of dumb. Better get there early since the shelters fill up fast espically on weekends and when the thru hikers get to this area.

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:33 AM
Frequent Contributor

We're looking, too. The middle one asked to go back country camping for her 8th birthday, so also appreciating any ideas. Near Cabela's would be good - haven't made it there yet, for some reason. It's never on the way. We'll be hiking in with a tent.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Real prmitive trail allowing camping is thunder Swamp Trail system in the Delaware State forest.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to hunt for them!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Regular Visitor

Maybe French Creek State Park Near Elverson. Not allowed to camp on the trails only established campsites but it may be a good way to start.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 AM

All the state forests allow camping from primative to regular car camping http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...ping/index.htm ,however if you want amenities you have to go to state parks.
For the "wilderness" in the SE I would choose the AT keeping in mind that chances are good that other people will be in the area esp. in the Hawk Mt/Pinnicle/Cabela's area. I have walked through camps on trails(as in right on) twice in the pre dawn during spring turkey season

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

For the OP, if you want to do regular state park camping (either primitive or cabin), I recommend looking at Delaware state parks which are pretty nice and well-run. I've stayed at Killens Pond and Lums Pond in DE. In SEPA for state parks, there is Gifford Pinchot, or if you want to drive a bit Hickory Run. I have been told that French Creek can get a little sketchy in terms of camping (sounded like a drunk teenager problem). Or you could look at small private campgrounds. We've stayed up near the Delaware Water Gap and near Dutch Wonderland and Hershey Park. Some of it depends on whether you just need to give them a "taste" or want to be in a more remote-feeling area.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

thanks for the help everyone. Kind of trying to stay away from organized camping want the wilderness experience so it looks like AT is the way to go!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 04:26 AM
Frequent Contributor

We're going to take a look at this since we'll be up there soon. Crossing fingers it works out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page