PA grand canyon kayak trip - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

PA grand canyon kayak trip

Has anyone ever floated down the Pa grand canyon before. I see a lot of folks put in at asonia and float down to Blackwell. Are there places to put in higher than asonia? Are there places to camp along the way. I am looking to do this end of April or beginning of May.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 12:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: PA grand canyon kayak trip

A few buddies and myself have been kayaking the canyon every year for the past 6 or 7 years. We usually go at the end of May or early June if the water conditions are good. We stay at a campgound in Gaines and put in there. There are many campsites along the stream but I think you may need a permit from the state if you are camping. We don't camp but see others that do. Good luck and have fun. It is a great trip
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

thanks for the info, i have a camp in blackwell, not sure if we are going to stop there or head down to camal or waterville area. How is the water towards the end of May, it gets pretty low at times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Is there a river trail map of the canyon?

The BSA troop I am with is going to do Kinzu to Emlenton (107 map miles we are going a bit farther) in early June and we have done a lot on this strech of the Alegehenny, might want to branch out some.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I was on a website yesterday that had a map of the canyon, I also did google earth and it had a pretty good map. I am probably going to call one of the state organizations and find out about camping on state forest. not sure of all the rules on that.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

In the last few years there was only one year that the water was too low and one time the water was very high and we didn't go those years. The stream varies with rainfall quickly so it is hard to tell what the conditions will be like.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

I did the trip back in the 70's with the boy scouts. Several areas to camp along the way; however that may have changed by now. I was up in the area hiking this September and water was real low. Last weekend my son just got done kayaking the Youghiogheny in Ohiopyle (above and below the falls). This summer he did the falls with a couple friends. I'll ask him about the grand canyon. If he has not done it I'm sure he will. He may be looking for others to do it together.

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM
The Man

There is a good DCNR campsite at Tiadaghton. I believe there is Porta-Potties, drinking water, and fire rings there. You should definitely plan on camping there. Check with the state forest folks.

Pine Creek Outfitters, along Route 6, does shuttles. Also, you can put in there. Nice folks.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If you want to go higher, you can put in at Galeton, right below the dam, near the sewer plant. Thats 13 miles of water between there and Ansonia. Once you meet up with Marsh creek, you turn south into the gorge. Tiadaghton is your next stop in the middle of the gorge. After that, it's Blackwell at the bridge.

Big D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page