Susquehannock traIL - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Susquehannock traIL

Anybody hike this trail end-to-end? If, so can you share a little about your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 03:38 PM

Re: Susquehannock traIL

Not end to end . Parked at Crossfork and hiked to Prouty Place . Went through Hammersly Wild Area . Very nice trail in that section.

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 02:16 PM

The STS is a 85 mile loop trail and you can do it all at once or several day hikes. Lots of road crossings for the day hikes. I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks Finn, really appreciate the info. I've always been intrigued by that part of the STS between Cross Fork and Prouty. Do you happen to know about how many miles that is? Did you do it in a day or stop overnight? What was it you particularly liked about that section of the trail? Sorry, I guess I'm full of questions right now.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If someone hikes from Cross Frok to Prouty they are really moving. I'd say plan on two days. I'd guess the attraction to that section would just be the solitude and remoteness of going through the Hammersly. I never hiked the entire Hammersly in the daylight, did it at night one time looking for a lost hunter though.

I’m a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the info, BB. I can't imagine tramping around the Hammersly at night. I hope that story had a happy ending!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 AM

Little Bear ,as I recall it was an overnight trek . Parked the car at Crossfork and stayed in the hotel on the corner .Left in the morning on the trail and camped in Hammersley . The plan was to meet my brother in Prouty on the third day. Late afternoon of the second day passed through Conrad and up over the mountain to Prouty a day early and tired as can be. Very warm and buggy . Entering the park finding that it was empty of visitors .At that time there were picnic tables and fire rings . Also a bathroom . Now it is just a meadow with no tables or rings ,or bathroom. Anyway , I dropped my pack and sprawled out on top of a shaded picnic table before setting up to camp for the night and await brothers' arrival the following day . A gentle breeze about put me to sleep when I heard a vehicle approach from the opposite entrance. My brother was also a day early ! He had a cooler of ice cold Cokes,some bologna and cheese . Joy and a renewed vigor in my step. Awoke the next morning to the sound of thunderous gobble from the adjoining hills ! Great memories for sure . I believe the mileage for that was about 20 miles . Very nice trail in May .

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks Finn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page