Hiking during deer (hunting) season - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Hiking during deer (hunting) season

Why do hikers continue to hike during hunting season without wearing orange. First day of deer season I had two hikers walk past me and one of them was wearing a brown jacket. In past seasons I've had may of hikers walk past me and most do not wear orange. Some even have camped about 30' from my stand on top of the ridge I hunt on. Don't get me wrong they have a right to be there also as I also hike a lot, but come on, first day fo deer season wearing brown. I at least wear an orange hat when I hike during hunting season.

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 07:12 PM

Re: Hiking during deer (hunting) season

Not sure maybe it requires common sense....

I know of one guy who walks his dog religously down a trail on game lands. Been doin it for past 18 years, and once the seasons roll around he wears full blaze orange jacket, hat, and even has an orange vest for his dog. He never ventures off the trail. He lives adjacent to the SGL, has often allowed me to park in his driveway and keeps me up to date on all the happenings.

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

I had never heard of wearing orange before I got interested in hunting, even though we've been winter hiking a bunch. I think people are barely aware hunting goes on sometimes unless they are diehards who are in the woods a lot. Some people try to raise awareness. The parks foundation was trying to get folks to get out the Friday after Thanksgiving on their Facebook page and a nice person took the time to remind everyone to wear orange. I just did the same with a friend who wanted to hike Monday in NY. I think it's an awareness issue - people who are outdoors a lot and people from rural areas will know what to do but regular folks just don't know. They allow hunting in the parks closest to Philly now but I'm sure 99% of the people hiking, running and cycling have never heard of fliurescent orange. They should be wearing something visible anyway in my opinions, for other good reasons, but most don't. I mean, a lot of these people don't even wear visible clothing while running on country roads at night, so I don't expect a lot . Hunting is very invisible to those who don't want to know about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:41 PM
The Man

The obvious answer is for their safety during gun hunting season, a hiker should wear orange.
But I'd ask why you see so many hikers not in orange.
Since most hikers use trails, are you hunting too close to trails.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I wear an orange hat will hiking in the fall.
I believe there are signs posted at all the SGL'S, state parks and forests trail parking areas advising hikers that hunters wear fluorescent orange and they should too.

A friend and I did a couple sections of the AT last fall during archery season and this is what we wore.

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

While I was at a state park last weekend, there was nothing posted about wearing orange. In fact, it was ambiguous because half the land was "posted" which is pretty clear and the other half had signs declaring the "safety zone" in big letters. I understood what it was but if I was unaware of hunting there would have been nothing to alert me - no big signs saying "hunting allowed!" or postings about when the season is. I might have just thought going past the "safety zone" meant I was safe.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyFam
I had never heard of wearing orange before I got interested in hunting, even though we've been winter hiking a bunch. I think people are barely aware hunting goes on sometimes unless they are diehards who are in the woods a lot. Some people try to raise awareness. The parks foundation was trying to get folks to get out the Friday after Thanksgiving on their Facebook page and a nice person took the time to remind everyone to wear orange. I just did the same with a friend who wanted to hike Monday in NY. I think it's an awareness issue - people who are outdoors a lot and people from rural areas will know what to do but regular folks just don't know. They allow hunting in the parks closest to Philly now but I'm sure 99% of the people hiking, running and cycling have never heard of fliurescent orange. They should be wearing something visible anyway in my opinions, for other good reasons, but most don't. I mean, a lot of these people don't even wear visible clothing while running on country roads at night, so I don't expect a lot . Hunting is very invisible to those who don't want to know about it.
They don't wear visable clothing? You mean they were nekid? Seriously, FO is the way to go

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mus42tang
The obvious answer is for their safety during gun hunting season, a hiker should wear orange.
But I'd ask why you see so many hikers not in orange.
Since most hikers use trails, are you hunting too close to trails.
Yea I do hunt close to trails. In my area there are several trails that are used all the time (AT, Blue trails, logging roads, fire trails). All over the place. It's just one of those things that you have to get used to. Not complaining just can't understand people sometimes.

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 11:45 AM

MH,
We got a lot of out of staters in the area too. Maryland and Northern Virginia people. My guess is most do not even know it is a hunting season or are educated enough regarding hunting safety. IMO, if people are educated on the reasons to wear it and safety aspect you would see more people with FO or the daylight green on.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

I think like TP said its a lack of education on the reasons from the safety side of it. That being said in a perfect world it (fo) wouldn't be necessary being all hunters should positively identify all targets. Kinda of like why hunters don't want laws or to be mandated to wear a harness when hunting out of a stand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page